Thread: Beauty Products on TV......DO you think about buying them?

Default Beauty Products on TV......DO you think about buying them?

I am always thinking about purchasing those beauty products advertised on TV. The items I really want to try out are Pro avtive, youthful essence sponge product and Sheer Cover. I have researched them all on the web, and you get mixed reviews on them all.

i have read a little about Pro avtive here on Belly. I think I would have already ordered all these products if it wasn't for their contract where they send more and charge you until you personally cancel it. And from what I have read on the web about other customers having dramas after canceling with these companies, sounds like it can be a big fat headache.

My DH thinks I'm just a sucker for advertisement, maybe I am, but they make you think if you use their products it will make you look so gorgeous

If anyone knows anything about these items or have anything good or bad to say about them please tell me before I think about spending money on [email protected]

I can't be the only one out there?.....Or maybe I am LOL

Must admit I have been tempted by Sheer Cover. Like you, I don't like the automotic orders unless you cancel.

Lol you are not the only one. The only thing that stops me is the thought of the look on dh's face when the credit card bill comes in

lol - you cant be the only one, otherwise the wouldnt keep advertising them!

I have never purchased seen on tv beauty products, but occaisionally think - "oh, thats a good deal".

I did purchase an exercise step once off telly. It was not a bad product but I didnt use it much. If i had not been tempted by tv, I doubt I would have gotten round to going to the shop to buy one, so could have saved myself a few hundy bucks! (I told a friend at the time that Id got it off tv and she said "SUCKER!!")

I can only think of one friend (who has admitted to buying off tv - there seems to be some stigma, yet ppl will happily go buy a laundry powder or barbie toy etc that they see on the regular adds). My friend brought a large knife set - she was very excited about its quality, but I never heard long term if they worked out as a good purchase choice or not.

My parents in the UK brought a yogart maker off tv and love it - and its just the same kind that u can get in the shops here, but not availble in shops there - maybe some of these american beauty products are the same, standard shops sell them in the US, but their marketing approach here is on tv?

Hello ladies,

Yes I've been tempted but not actually bought. I've found that some people are selling the products on ebay and it's just a once off if you want to try it. But i'm not sure if that voids it's money back etc guarantee...

I do this sheer cover looks good. I bought Loreal mineral foundation powder instead and it seems great so far. Good coverage for my spots and redness but Avon also have one out now too.

HTH,

Ruth

I bought pro-activ, have used it a couple of times actually. Don't worry, there is no dramas cancelling it. You just ring them up and they stop. You can also go on the website and make the orders less frequent, I did that coz I found I didn't need it that often. Last time I cancelled it after they'd just sent another one too and I rang them and they said send it back and they'll refund it!

I also have Sheer cover but I didn't buy it. I think you get 2 colours to blend or something so someone bought it and didn't want the other one so gave it to me. It's ok. I think it's good coz it's mineral foundation and doesn't make my skin breakout. But it's pretty messy, lol, and can look a bit powdery sometimes, you have to put it on maybe 1/2 hr before you go out then rub it in a bit more after a bit I find. Just have to make sure you get the right colour. Overall I'm happy with it and when I run out might buy it again myself.
    Good luck!!

No never bought, never tempted. Personally I find the best products don't need much advertising, especially not on TV. I think the best form of advertsing is word of mouth. I've discovered most of the best products this way. I also am a very ethical/environmentally aware consumer and am buying more products that are good for me and the environment AND the people that make them (fair trade).

I find that there's a lot of beatuy products and treatments advertised in the "wee hours" along with phone dating, ring-tone ads and other dodgy deals... hmmm... to me that kinda says something don't you think?
    Just my thoughts... I'm sure there are people out there who have purchased tv advertised products otherwise they wouldn't bother making the ads would they? Although snake oil charmers have been around for centuries too LOL

It was really interesting reading all your replies, thanks for that

I have to say that I'm actually over all the advertisements on t.v, unfortunately, I have to admit that I have found ebay lol. DH is fine with that though, as he knows I'm very good when it comes to money and our finances, I don't spend money we don't have. But it can get very addictive others have said.

I have purchased mineral makeup off ebay, so I don't think about sheer cover anymore, yay! And the good thing is that my credit card isn't getting charged each month.

Bathsheba - Yes, you have made good points there especially about the other commercials and [email protected] on at the same time. It just makes you realise who there targeting doesn't it. And now there on at 3pm throughout the week hmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
    Must admit I have been tempted by Sheer Cover. Like you, I don't like the automotic orders unless you cancel.
    I'm the same, that Sheer Cover looks great. I also don't like the automatic orders. I'm also using Pro Activ at the moment to see if it works for me but I just keep pushing out the automatic order (you don't have to use that much).

Damn those infomercials!!