Thread: DIY hair colouring

Cool DIY hair colouring

OK, so here's the deal. I need my hair done again before I go to QLD next weekend and I've got an appt on Sat BUT I seriously don't have the cash to keep colouring my hair. Last time it cost me $85 (which is not bad, I know) but I can't spend that every 4-6 weeks. Last time I had it done she had to cover up a thick blonde foil in the front before she coloured over it so that would have cost a bit extra, but I wouldn't think all that much.

I never dye my hair, only get semis done so it fades out fast. My hairdresser only charges $17 for a haircut, so it's the colour that's expensive.

I'm very tempted to just get her to cut it and then colour it myself, but the last few times I've done that it hasn't turned out very well and I promised her I'd never do it again!

Can anyone recommend a good semi-permanent colour that won't end in disaster? I want to colour it a red-ish colour.

Should I just come clean and tell her I can't afford to colour it and ask her what she thinks?

DoubleK Guest

i always colour my own hair.. but use permanent colours, so i cant recommend any.

have you thought about getting foils? you can as many or as little as you like. it may not be an option.. just an idea!

Red is the hardest colour to deal with and maintain I reckon...can you go a different colour?
    Some shades just have to be done by a professional, which is why I am no longer blonde

Lulu - it's not RED red, more of a...I dunno, burgundy or mahogany kinda deal? So a very brown base but with red in it. I'm naturally a brunette and until recently, never had any trouble colouring it myself. I was thinking maybe it was just the brand i was buying. I used to use Country Colours stuff for years (can't remember who made this, Loreal or someone) but pretty sure it's discontinued in the colour I used and the last time I tried it, it turned out crap.

Was thinking over dinner, that i could go to one of those places that sell professional products - like we have Price Attack here in Sydney where there's a salon at the back but they also sell all sorts of hair products too. I vaguely remember buying a Goldwell semi permanent colour from there years ago. It was like a mousse and it worked well.

If I was to go any other colour there wouldn't be much point, I'm already a brunette, would never go blonde or really dark so that doesn't leave many options!

Krystal - I actually find that foils are more expensive than an all over colour because they charge per foil. Also, the maintenance is too much for me, can't deal with regrowth which is a big reason I don't dye my hair.

Oh I get really shirty when the colours don't work as well anymore. Hence my hair is SUCKY as hell right now....grumble

I know! I hate it too. The Country Colours stuff used to be sooo good.

I have sucky hair atm too, trying to grow out a fringe which is never fun, plus yanno all prg and frumpy, not feeling all that spunky right now

Maybe tell her and ask her what she recomneds? Good luck hun! Have fun up here in sunny QLD! x

Amber - hope it's sunny and Hamish has buggered off! Staying at a friends place in Hervey Bay.

Maybe tell her your budget....i.e what can you do for $40 or $30 ????

You could do the priceline thing....but do you feel confident enought? Wont u be spending at least $30 anyway ???

If i were you, i would tell the hairdresser your budget and go from there....if she's any good she should be able to brighten it up a bit. And whilst your there, you should ask what colour (its a hairdressing number, not colour name) she uses.....you can buy the colour from a pro hairdresser supply and never have to go to hairdresser again...

Good luck......Dh just lives with the fact that i need $85 every 2 months for my hair.....the arguments have stopped now.....he just gets over it....

Yeah, I'm a bit torn about it mbear - part of me just wants her to do it cause I know it will look better, the other half has lots of other things I could be spending $85 on! I don't get any argument from DH, he doesn't care.

I just wish it lasted longer, that's all. Semis wash out so fast.
    Last edited by Willow; March 14th, 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Maybe try Castings - it is also a semi - they do tend to turn out darker so choose something that liioks lighter. They make the hair very shiny. You ca buy it at coles, woolies, priceline etc

Well I went in to price attack today and spoke to one of the girls there and ended up buying a Goldwell semi permanent colour. Will pop it in tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes. Feel a bit better knowing it's a 'professional' product, the colour I got is 6kr

It cost me $17 for my haircut this morning (which is great! Have gone shorter again) and $21 for the colour, so if it looks OK I've saved myself at least $40. If not, then I'll just accept the fact that I'll have to fork out the money to get it done every 6-8 weeks! I go without enough, not sacrificing the 'do!

I seem to have the opposite problem: when I have my hair coloured at the hairdressers it never turns out any good... but when I do it myself it's passable. I have long dark brown (almost black) hair, very thick. I dye it my natural colour... i colour it only to hide the greys. I can use almost any permanent dye with success as long as it's a got no red in it.

The problem when I go to the hairdressers is that they don't leave it on long enough and I can still see greys when I leave the salon damn, what a waste of money THAT is!!! When I dye it at home the top and front look great (no greys) but i know that I have missed spots at the back... which isn't a problem usually because I 99% wear my hair in a pony tail.

Anyhow sorry to hijack your thread Willow... but I was wondering what the ettiquette would be about asking the hairdresser to leave it on longer... they leave it on about 18 - 20 minutes i think. I know that it needs to be at least half an hour (my hair is so thick, this doesn't seem to damage it). I assume that they wouldn't like it if i asked because they have limited time before their next client comes in.

I know I could probably get a friend to do it... but there's no one... I'll probably get my DD to do it in a few years...

ETA: I don't blame you for wanting to save that $85... it's IS a lot of money every few weeks.

Lightbulb

Hi I always colour my own hair,I never go to the hair dresser,most of the time they do a rush job & your hair just doesn`t turn out what you exspect it to be.

I use only permanent hair colour though, to save time & money,I find the Nutris is nice or it think my last one was Wella,I go for the Mahgony or the dark grape/purple colours coming into Winter.
    Most Chemist have a really good selection,maybe they could help you out too,hun.

Bath - Hijack away My problem is that my hairdresser is excellent, she would do pretty much whatever i ask of her which is why I feel bad doing it myself, it purely comes down to expense for me. I honestly don't see a problem with you asking them to leave your colour in longer it's your hair, you know it best? If they were concerned about hair damage, they could just check it every 5 mins or so - isn't that what you're paying them for??!! If I went somewhere and felt like they rushed through my appt and I didn't leave happy, I wouldn't go back. I've seen my hairdresser keep clients in the salon for most of the day because she wouldn't let them leave until she got it just right and they were happy.

Also, isn't your DD 16 or so?? I would be asking her to do it! I was colouring my own hair by that age (only those rinses that wash out after 8 washes or whatever) so I'd say she could manage it really well. She might even enjoy it! Also, have you asked your DH? I know it sounds strange but my brother always does my SILs hair and he does a good job too! LOL.

I don't have thick hair but I have LOTS of it which is why I keep it short these days. I just make sure I comb it all through the back with a wide tooth comb and as far as I know, it turns out quite evenly at the back. If your DD did it for you, she could section it off and make sure it was all covered.

Didn't do mine tonight, too tired but hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow.

DD and her friend did mine a few weeks ago, it was a semi and I was really happy with it, cost $9.99 on special at Franklins too, can't remember what it was called, will ask DD when she gets home.
    I always had foils but we are so broke that I haven't had them for a year now