Thread: Hairdressing issues - how to tone yellow hair from foils?

Default Hairdressing issues - how to tone yellow hair from foils?

Hi ladies,
    I find myself with a dilemna!
    I had been dying my hair dark dark brown (almost black) for some years. Initially my hairdresser did it. More recently i have been doing it with colour from a box (the kind that grows out).
    Anyway I recently had a penchant for a change and wanted to go back to a lighter brown.
    Yesterday i went to a new hairdresser. She advised me that it would be a gradual process to get my hair to a lighter colour.
    She advised me to and I agreed to allow her to undertake a "bleach bath" to essentially strip some of the darkness from the hair.
    I am not unhappy with the result of this the hair is a lighter shade of brown it is relatively warm.
    She also suggested we do a few foils on the top layers to try as a transitional thing as my regrowth is not quite the same colour as the hair which had been colour bathed.
    Whilst the foils have been positioned well I am not really happy with the colour, they are very orangey yellow rather than a cooler shaded blonde. I have slept on it overnight but take still take the view after looking at myself in the daylight again that they frankly don't suit me.
    I am wondering whether any hair experts out there would be able to tell me how easy it is to tone down the highlights and whether it would be advisable to do so or should I just live with it as is for the next few weeks as my hair has taken a beating from the stripping and foils as it is?
    TIA
    Belinda.

I am no expert, but I would suggest going to hairhouse or something similar and getting a silver shampoo - its like a toner but gentler... but I'm sure they can advise you on what would be best to use!
    Good luck

I used to use a purple shampoo when I had foils.

Hiya, I was a hairdresser, now I only do friends & family hair.

There's 2 options

1. Go to a hairdressers and ask them to put a toner in your hair, however this will cost you a fair amount of money & time.

2. What I use at home for myself is Delorenzo Nova Fusion colour care shampoo Silver, It is expensive around $25 a bottle but is worth it, it lasts ages & you dont need much when you use it, you can get it from Price Attack, Salons, and hairdressing wholesalers. RPR make a good one as well. You are better off getting a salon brand as it is design for what you are trying to do, the supermarket brands are designed to maintain the colour, not fix it.

The first day wash your hair with the shampoo & leave in about 3mins, (make sure none gets on your shower walls coz it will stain, its dark purple) rinse & follow with conditioner (you can use any conditioner, it doesnt have to be that brand).
    Then everyday thereafter use it as a normal shampoo (so lather & rinse, don't leave in) until you get the desired colour you are after.
    Then just use it once a week or once a fortnight.

Hope this helps, good luck

Hi there everyone
    thanks for your replies.
    I have been out and bought the Delorenzo shampoo (very hard to find everyone was sold out in my local area!) and given it a good first wash!
    It has toned down a little bit already!
    Lesson learnt is be a bit more assertive with new hairdresser!
    Thanks again
    Belinda.

Hope all goes well with it, let me know how it goes.