Thread: Hospital Nursing/Sleepwear

Default Hospital Nursing/Sleepwear

Hello!
    I have 7 weeks to go...my question is,
    What type of hospital sleepwear should I look for and does anyone know of anywhere in Perth (northern suburbs) that I can buy something nice.
    May seem like a vain question, but with people visiting when you are looking your worst, I would like to feel a little pretty!
    Hopefully I will be breast feeding and keeping in mind I may have to have a cesaerean it limits your options ie: no elastic waist.
    So much around looks so 'nana-ish'.
    Do you have to wear a nursing bra underneath?

Any ideas?

Hi Nell.. I had Aricyn in January - so it was bloody hot, even with the air conditioning in the hospital. I just wore a nice singlet top (easy for breastfeeding - which I didn't end up needing anyway) and a pair of very light pj bottoms. I had a c-section too, and the elastic waist on my pj's were fine. :-) My sister always swears by button up tops for easy breastfeeding (discreet too) hope this helps!!

A friend of mine bought a couple of pais of undercoverwear maggie pants and some singlets in the next size up so she looked good and felt comfortable even when breatsfeeding!

I took in a PJ set that was a jacket, trousers and singlet top. I lounged around in the bottoms and the singlet, and put on the jacket for modesty.

Another thing I've liked is a poncho - I have a very fine woolen knit one that preserved my modesty ... not too warm, but nice and covering!

Anything that slips on and off one shoulder really easily when breastfeeding is good, and is comfortable for both day and night. I had an emerg c/s and found that with limited movement singlet tops with narrow straps were really easy to manipulate whilst holding a squirmy thing and attempting to get them to attach correctly at four am. I just wore them with drawstring or elastic waisted cotton pants and found that they were fine against the wound. You can also get nursing bra style singlets which are not uncomfortable to sleep in. You don't have to wear nursing bras (I don't because I have always hated wearing bras and still do), but I think a lot of people find them more comfortable if they get engorged and pressure against the breast helps leaking when your milk comes in. I just use a tissue myself, but I don't leak much.

A couple of pairs of big cotton nana knickers are essential in case of a c/s - I normally wear hipster/ boyleg style undies and needed to send someone out to get a couple of full briefs because the band on my normal undies rested against the wound.

You probably already know that it can take some time before your tummy goes back to normal, and if you've had fluid retention it often gets MUCH, MUCH worse in the first week or so after the birth - my legs looked like sausages for about a week and everything swelled up down there from a long pushing stage (didn't get to push him out but got pretty close!) so really loose comfy stuff is essential.

You could find some singlets with nursing bra fit in like bonds singlets. With anything though, you may find after day 3-4 that your milk comes in & your breasts will be tender, you will have to have nursing bras for that.

I went op shopping and found old grandpa button down pj tops and wore high waisted track pants. I tried to keep visitors away the first few days to take time to recover.

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi! I just had a nice pair of jarmies! The top was a BFing top (you untied the bow at the middle and popped one of the girls out!) and it was nice! I think a singlet top with a nursing bra or a nice tshirt and maybe a pair of drawstring bottoms? That way if you do have a c-section you can have them on still but really loose

Thanks girls! Yes I have visited the Lovable Australia website and also bonds which have those roll down pants and the nursing tops!
    Then I can wear them after baby too =)
    Now onto the next problem. Just found out baby is frank breech at 33 weeks and they are talking cesarean! NOOOOOOOOOO!
    Last edited by christy; December 18th, 2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: links removed

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You're kidding??? Frank breech is MOST safe and recommended for vaginal birth.... I'd be changing care to find someone supportive, but thats just me.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks girls, I have bought some tanks with buttons (Sussans) and some rolldown bonds 3/4 capris (BigW) if any one wants to know in future where to buy them. Breaking them in right now and VERY comfy! oh and just orderd some Pickles & Loop fluffy slippers in white hehe.....just for a bit of luxury.
    Thanks Kelly, I will keep that in mind. Will wait to hear what they say at the next obstet visit next week before I do.
    I have been doing exercises (The knee to chest position & the Indian bridge position) and also acupressure to little toe. Hopefully these work for me.

Glad to hear that you have your 'comfies' Nell!! Good luck with the rest of your preparations for the arrival of Bubba!

Thanks Suse and congratulations on little Euan =)