Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a new hairdo!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default I want a new hairdo!

I've had long hair for years. It's now halfway down my back and just lately, with work and study, I'm not finding the time to care for it like I used to. I'm going 3-4 days without a wash, it's going greasy and manky, and it's always in a ponytail or a bun because it's too hard to have it down at work and when I'm studying.

So I'm thinking of having it cut to a chin length bob. I haven't had one of those in years and my DH has jokingly said it's a sure sign I'm joining the nanna brigade, but tbh I think they can be very stylish and I need something low maintenance right now. I'm not skinny though so am concerned it's going to make my face look even rounder, so am also tossing up whether I should go shoulder length instead....

So what do you think? Should I bite the bullet and do it? Who's gone from long to short and not regretted it? And who has?

Sush, good on you! I have had hair of varying lengths over the years, from very short, to long. I LOVE having short hair, but TBH I think that a chin length bob can take a bit of maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I really love how they look, but I always find them a bit hard going. It's too short too tie up when you're in a rush, but too long to be really easy to style. I guess it depends on your hair , mine's pretty tricky.

If I were you I'd go with either really short, that's easy to blow wave and style, or shoulder length, maybe with lots of layers, so you can still tie it up if needs be. I have to tie my hair up for work too, and I know that a chin length bob gets in my way something shocking!

Good luck deciding! Hopefully some of our hairdressers can come and give their opnion.

Sushee - do it!! I always had long hair till I was about 21, then cut it. Grew it again for our wedding and as soon as we got back from the honeymoon, chopped it again! Never regretted it. It's so much easier and if anything, I think shorter hair makes me look and feel younger.

Your hair is dark right? What about an inverted bob (a la the 'pob') but on a less severe scale with a few highlights or something (if you're into colouring)? You'll feel like a new woman!

Mine is just above my shoulders atm with very choppy layers. I get up in the morning, wash it, towel dry then tip my head upside down while blow drying - and that's it. Gives it lots of volume and is so quick and easy.

A bob sounds like it could work really well for you - if it was layered rather than a blunt cut bob it would be a little softer and these are really easy to maintain!! And a bob can be cut on a certain angle or with different fringe styles to be more flattering to a particular face shape, a good hairdresser will know how to cut to suit your shape.

I went from long hair to a really really short crop once and loved it!! Sometimes it's just a case of taking the plunge. Previously I had had long hair and cut it in half measures (ie: wanted short hair but settled for shoulder length), and ended up getting it cut short on the next cut anyway. So for me it was a wasted haircut, in a way! My hair grows pretty fast though, so depending on how fast your hair grows this might be a factor in your decision. If you don't like the cut or find it too short, then if your hair grows slowly it takes a while to grow out. But also, if your hair grows quickly then a really short cut may actually be more high maintenance, because it will need trimming more often.

I also want a haircut desperately at the moment - haven't had one since three months before Euan was born. It's got so bad that I have had to buy hair elastics for the first time in years (it was short after my last cut).

Good luck - I hope you get the haircut you want!!

You know I can see you with a pob with just a bit of layering in the fringe to soften it up.
    Do you have very thick hair? It might be a bit high maintainence if you do.
    It's only hair - it always grows back
    I'm dying to get mine cut short but DH hates short hair.
    I've gone from long to short oodles of times and never once regretted it. I've had hairdressers who looked really freaked out (even a couple who have tried to talk me out of it) when I told them how much I wanted cut off and every time they've been really pleased with themselves when they've finished and seen my vision.

DO IT!

My hair travels from short to long and back again.....each time I meet up with BB Mods is is a different length, LOL!

Such, I am guessing your hair is thick and grows fast?

If so, it'll grow back quickly if you hate it short.

BUT, if you have layers cut into it, it does take longer to grown it all back to the same length and is more painful & tedius with more "bad hair days" as it grows back.......

Sushee, how timely. Just last week I finally bit the bullet and had my hair cut into a shorter style. It was my second hair cut since Tom was born (yep, he's 18months LOL!!) and I am SO, SO, glad I did it. Before I was tying my hair back everyday and I felt like a housewife escaping from the home. Now I feel like a real person, I feel so much better about myself and the compliments don't hurt either . Go for it hun. What have you got to lose?

sushee- have you seen Gwyneth Palthrow's new hair?
    it is absolutely beautiful, very soft and feminine shoulder length.
    i personally think the Pob is quite harsh, jmo though.
    gwynnie's hair looks so soft and pretty..i'll go and try and find a pic if you like

Hey Sushee I am a hairdresser and these are some options you can go for:

Cut your hair into a v at the back so it still looks long but alot of it has been cut off and really layer and thin it..

I definately like the POB idea its quite common now I would start off with the longer POB first then get shorter..

Or you can go the Katie Holmes Bob which is really texturized and short

There are soo many options there is a hair site I will have to remember the name of it you put a pic of you on there then you can choose from a variety of styles and they syncronize to your pic so you can see what they look like

Ignore my comments Sush, it must just be my hair that is hard to manage at that length LOL. My hair's hard to manage full stop though

I went from long to short when Paris was 2 months old (had a pob but with a bettie page fringe) and never looked back, then I grew it out had it layered and was able to curl it or straighten it (my hair can be quite temperamental! I then went to the POB about 12 months ago (just before it got popular again) and although I've been tempted to grow it out again due to its recent popularity I thought meh I like it and it suits me and its easy to manage. I find I can have my hair done (as my gf says it looks salon done) in about 15 - 20 minutes from wet. I have invested in a very good dryer and straightener but its worth it. And I still curl it from time to time... I will probably grow it out again soon though and go for a more retro look with loose curls and a bettie page fringe...

I say GO FOR IT Just make sure you go somewhere good, there is one thing I have learnt, you pay what you get for, if you want a good style you gotta pay for it

I did have a bob in my twenties and the good thing about it was it always sat well, needed no styling at all. I can't have layers though because my hair is wavy and layers make it curl, so it's got all one length for it to be low maintenance.

My hair is still thick but no where as thick as in my twenties, when it was mane-like, but I hope it looks okay nonetheless.

Thanks for all your responses! I've booked myself in for Wednesday and am going to go halfway, ie slightly longer than chin length. Wish me luck!!

ETA Oooh Cai I like your hair! But I'm too scared to go too short. Maybe one day....

I love the katie holmes bob, but I need to save up for a GHD and a parlux dryer before I can think about getting my hair cut that short. Are there any cheaper ceramic straighteners that are still pretty good?

Sushee - If you know the bob sits well definately do it you will have to post pics when you get it done a before and after

rayray - I would stick to your GHD honestly they last forever and they have 2 new ones coming out also Also the Wahl hairdryers are fantastic I think you can get them from hairhouse warehouse and places like that for $90 and they have turbo speed I use these in my salon

Okay I did it on Charlie's birthday 2 weeks ago, but only just got round to putting up a pic. Sorry about the B&W shot, DH didn't know how to change it back to colour and got p!ssy when I tried to explain.

Sush's new haircut

The good thing is it's pretty well-behaved!
    Last edited by sushee; April 30th, 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Sushee - It looks awesome definately suits you hun!

You're stunning. That is a fantastic haircut and one sexy photo of you Miss Sushee!

I LOVE THAT HAIR ON YOU!!

*wolfwhistles*

Sexy mama - it looks fabulous. Now you've inspired me to get mine done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast