Thread: Makeup questions

Default Makeup questions

Hi there,

This week I was offered the most amazing job. I'm a massage therapist and DP called to say his best mate's friend just bought a Hair dressing salon and wanted a massage therapist. To cut a long story short after a few phone calls i spoke the the guy and i can baiscally pick my own days, hours, rates, have the room done up how i want it etc. It all fits in with Ashlea perfectly and the ideas he has to do with the salon are exactly the same as the idea's i've wanted to do personally.

Anyway, he has an extremely high standard which i think is fantastic, but part of it is the staff looking immaculate all of the time. After spending a day massaging i find all my make up looks terrible or wears off, as its quite physical work. So i need people's personal reccomendations of make up they swear by that stays on well and lasts all day.
    At the moment my make up collection seriouslly needs updating so i thought i'd treat myself but want to know whats best

Thanks

Melody Guest

The Skin Fitness range in Ella Bache is great foundation &, much as I hate to say it, waterproof mascara doesn't come off or smudge etc Go for the good brands though like Loreal etc. I also really like the 'mat' Mac range in lipsticks

I was a flight attendant with Ansett for 5 years and working in summer my make up would run and by the end of a 8 sector day, i looked like death warmed up, with my foundation running so much it was nearly on my feet!!! A collegue recommended Clarins Beauty Flash balm. It retails for about 50-60 dollars and you wear it under your foundation, and it will keep you looking great all day. The only tip is that put the balm on about 15-20 mins before putting your foundation over the top and dont rub the balm in, you have to 'pat' it on or it will peel when you put the foundation over the top!!

Mascara, i love and have always worn maybelline... the one in the pink bottle with green lid.. it is perfect and very inexpensive. all the best with your new job

leis xx

Jodie259 Guest

I'm a beauty therapist and I do massage as well (although we don't do make-up in our salon).
    It would be good to know what makeup you currently wear (ie: full face, natural look or heavy...?)
    When I worked in an office environment I used to wear heaps of make-up, then one day I said "bugger it" and stopped wearing make-up. My skin cleared up (it had been spotty, and the makeup would 'cover' it), and it cut my routine by 1/2 hour each day! I also didn't look like a panda bear 1/2 way through the day.

My suggestions would be to go light on the make-up if you're comfortable with it.
    A long-wearing foundation (which stays longer if it's set with powder) or some 'fake tan/bronzer' applied to the face... if you need to even out your skin tone.
    Lips: Some lip gloss which you can touch up. Lip balms are better as they don't tend to be licked off. If you wear lipstick, the long-last ones are pretty good... but they really dry out your lips.
    Waterproof mascara is long-lasting and doesn't tend to sweat. But it can look a bit gluggy and a nightmare to remove. My trick is to wear normal mascara then apply a coat of clear mascara over the top.
    eyeshadow: a must-have is "eyelid primer". My eyelids "sweat" and my eyeshadow creases up and looks gross. But I discovered primer (in London) and it's amazing!
    Blush: Cream blushes stay on longer than powder ones.

Looking immaculate doesn't mean you have to wear make-up. As you said, make-up can look terrible at the end of the day. Massage is hard, physical work and with oil on your hands, it is ineveitable that you will touch your face occassionally. Well presented can be neat hair and smart dressing.

And finally - CONGRATULATIONS on the job!!! It sounds ideal.

thanks everyone for your replies, this is fantastic, keep the suggestions coming!

Jodie, i generally dont wear a lot of makeup anyway, my skin is usually pretty good and as long as i have my lip gloss, mascara and bronzer i'm usually happy. The thing is working with a bunch of hairdressers who are usually done up means my usual look is quite plain, as as they owner wants it to become 'the' salon in this town he wants all us to put in an effort to look the part.

I must admit i love playing around with make up, its just finding ones that stay on well!

I'm loving all the ideas so far, going to test out a few things tomorrow

Just moving this to House, Home & Money

i love make up sooo much!!
    i agree with the Clarins primer-it's just the best- MAC adn Bloom are amazing too!! and SugarBaby has great mascara and cheek tint.

Personally i also think if you Feel great then you look great. I so love make!!

Woo Hoo, I need a makeup renovation too...
    I have worn the same max factor stuff for... well since I was about 20! (a few yrs!)..

I am happy to pay the $$$'s if it works & makes me taller, thinner & more beautiful (on the outside, I am gorgeous within!) Any tips!!!????

trace- all make up does that!!
    you crack me up!!

Good brushes are a must!Mecca is fantastic for brushes and for make overs, the staff are great. Some brands I love are stilla, nars, perspectives. I have a vincent longo foundation brush and its my prize possession it gives a flawless look, can't recommend that enough (its for liquid/wet/creme foundation, not compacts/powder/wet to dry). I loved stephane marais but I can't find it anywhere. I am still using their foundation, loose & pressed powder. I love my Yves Saint Laurent Radient touch pen, its magic! Most of this stuff has a nice pricetag to match but its def worth it! and if you take good care of your brushes they'll last forever, and you'll look a million dollars!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip
    Another variation, is instead of using eye liner, you need a 1/4 angle brush (a flat slanted brush) and use your eye shadow in the lower lashline using soft strokes. What this does, is create a soft smokey look, linking the upper lash line to lower lashline and it looks softer than pencil eye liner.
    I think I do something similar I have a nars eyeliner push brush, its great!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ok Cailin, who & where is this Mecca place?

I think I am gonna treat myself to some makeup tip/techniques! Can you let ,e know where you went/go???

There's one in chadstone- It'a a makup place/store- they sell brands that arent stocked anywhere else-the entrace next to the cosmetics level- I love Mecca too!! Ithink there's one in the city too

Tracey make sure you put your name down for a make over. Usually they have "brand" make overs, but they are wonderful and happy to show you techniques and if you aren't happy with a colour etc they will rehappily redo it for you! Lovely people. And once you are on the mailing list they keep you up to date with stuff going on. Mecca at chaddy has just had a make-over itself and from the mailout I got last week it reopened on the 13th.

*hugs*
    Cailin