Thread: Pregnancy and new piercing question

Question Pregnancy and new piercing question

I've decided I want a labret. Been thinking about it for a while and then came across new piercing warnings in various pregnancy sites, but they talk about genitals, navels and nipples, not about labrets at all.
    Do I really have to wait till October???
    I'll be wanting to get a tat after October (might as well do these things asap whilst lactating, cos I can't give blood anyway ), so is it recommended that I wait till then for both? I really want the labret NOW!!

You won't find a reputable piercer to do you while you are pregnant. It is a health and safety (plus legal) risk for you AND them.

I desperatley want my implant work finished but am waiting until well after baby.

Your entire body really needs to be 100% in tip top shape - even for a fast healing piercing.

It is NOT worth it if you get an infection and end up ill.

Bugger Thanks, even though I receive this advice regretfully! Should have done it in early Jan...but then swimming would have been out, too! Bugger, bugger, bugger...oh, well, it can be a post-birth pressie, from me to me

LOL that is EXACTLY what I am telling myself about my $500 of implant work :-S

(at least I don't have to get it all done in one go!)

And my uber expensive salon hairtstyle next week...LOL. Eek!

You won't find many people who will do your tattoo either while you're b'feeding. I did my research and was satisfied that with the limited feeds we were on it was safe for me to have my tattoo done after DS turned 1 (very small tattoo on my wrist) - even then I gave him expressed milk that day.

I didn't offer the information that I was still b'feeding.

Also rejection is higher when pg.

Definitely a post baby pressie How exciting!

Yeah, you'll be hard-pressed to find a piercer who will do it if you're obviously pregnant, and a tattooist worth their licence won't do any work while you're bfing (but then it really falls on you to *tell* them you are, and if you don't, you have to be responsible for anything that goes wrong)... it's a b!tch, but yeah, I've got big plans for post-baby presents to myself, not long to wait now

I did actually get a piercing *and* a tattoo when I was pg with DD, before I knew I was pregnant... okay, I got the tattoo before I found out, but the piercing (madison - a surface piercing in my throat) I knew that I was expecting but just didn't say anything to the piercer, it was very early days and it just never occurred to me to worry (for the record, I never got an infection or anything, DD was fine, but it's a risk, kwim?).
    Then I got another tattoo post-baby, I honestly can't remember whether I was still bfing or not (I'd be inclined to think not, I only bf'd for 6 weeks and got the tattoo maybe 8 weeks after she was born?), but if I was, it didn't affect my supply at all.. but again, it's a risk - milk is a blood product and while your body is focusing on healing the tattoo, it stops putting so much emphasis on producing milk and it can really affect your supply, so by all means get a tattoo while you're bfing if it's something small, or you're willing to go the extra yards to get your supply back up if it's affected, kwim??

Lol I can *never* give blood, ever since I turned 16 I've been getting new piercings/inks/pregnant constantly so I've never been eligible lol
    I'm caning to get this kid out so I can get my bridge redone, can't wait

Thanks, Donna
    I've been so tempted to just go in and get it done...so norty!
    I'm not obviously pg - 4 months this week and just a tiny, tiny pot. Not sure DP would be happy for me to take the risk, though, even though he was happy enough for me to get it done before I told him what the piercer's and you guys have said.
    It's only 4.5 months away...only 4.5 months...I keep telling myself...now I'm stringing out!!

FWIW my supply was not affected at all and I never came accross anything to suggest that in my reading?? The biggest concern to me was that in theory, the ink particles are small enough to pass into breast milk. No one knows for sure and no one knows what risk, if any, this would pose to the baby. Most stuff I read suggested it was a very small risk, particularly with a small tattoo.

There's quite a few threads on the ABA site if you're interested, and one with posts from a tattooist too if I remember correctly.

I'll check them out, thanks, Willow
    Should have clarified, I'm itching for the labret more than the tat ATM. The tat can wait till I get a nice design for my 2nd idea, then I'll choose which one comes first.
    The labret I'm just hanging out for!

Another reason to wait is that during pregnancy your blood volume and flow is so exaggerated. Excessive bleeding can occur during a procedure like getting a piercing. Also, any infection that may develop will enter your blood stream and directly impact bubs.

Besides, waiting makes it that much more special when you do eventually get it done

barney Guest

oh hun the first chance after having bub GET IT DONE ,ive had mine done for about 6yrs now and lurve it .did not hurt one bit ,infact didnt even relize it had been done ,bit hard to say some things for a couple of days but after a week you will be use to it and love it.i just have a very small one in now but would recomend .
    infection in my lip or mouth was never a problem ..the only thing now after having it in for so long it hits the back of my teeth sometimes and feels a bit yuk lol..