Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sternum piercing

Talking sternum piercing

i really want to get this done... BUT im not sure if im able to being pregnant????
    does anyone know?

I couldn't imagine what this would look like so just googled it.

I can't imagine that being pregnant would stop you getting it done. I would be more concerned about small fingers grabbing hold of it if you were breast feeding - I can imagine that it would be pretty painful to get it done, but so much more painful if someone grabbed it.

im thinking that if i get it done now i will have time for it to heal so when the little one does arrive i can just take the balls off the ends so its not as easy to grab.

No - a reputable piercer will not pierce a pregnant woman - the risk of infection is increased significantly due to the suppression of the immune system. Any piercer that would pierce you when pregnant, IMO is not worth going to in the first place.

yea i didnt think so. i havnt been down there and asked yet i wanted to find out off here because some ppl dont care they just want to make money.

ouch that sounds just as painful as labour!!!!!!!!!

yep im thinkin its gonna be pretty painful but im a piercing junkie lol

Laura I've seen someone get her clavicles done, totally put me off surface piercings

yea na i dont like that one.
    i would get mine right in between my boobs.

I think the sternum is gorgeous and if I didn't fear of it rejecting its something I would DEFINITELY do I love it, I love that its not overly common and its quite pretty IMO. I say after you've popped go for it! But be careful, I've heard of soooo many surface piercing being rejected.

Yeah, I got a piercing and a tattoo before I realised I was pregnant with my first bub (and ftr I had absolutely NO problems with either of them, both healed fine and baby and I were perfectly healthy), but when I knew later on and asked my piercer about getting a new one, he said he wouldn't have a problem with doing it because he knew I could handle it and that his methods and equipment were as safe as possible, but it was their company's policy to deny pregnant women because of the risk of infection, so I would have to wait.
    Essentially, the risk of infection is the same as if you're not pregnant, but then it's a bit like avoiding certain foods because they might have a bacteria that won't hurt you, but will hurt the baby - you stay on the safe side just to be absolutely certain.

It's so hard waiting, I know, I'm a piercing and ink junkie myself and nine months seems like forever when you just want the one little needle!! But then once bub has arrived you can treat yourself to some new metal as a reward for getting through labour - I got my bridge pierced after DD was born, then a big chestpiece (which isn't finished yet, planning that once DD2 arrives at the end of May).

Yeah... I think being a surface piercing you are better off waiting... you would have a higher chance of rejection being pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by GothMum View Post
    Essentially, the risk of infection is the same as if you're not pregnant, but then it's a bit like avoiding certain foods because they might have a bacteria that won't hurt you, but will hurt the baby - you stay on the safe side just to be absolutely certain.
    Not exactly Gothmum . Because of the immunosuppression that takes place when pregnant, you are actually more susceptible to infection in the first place (even with proper management of a new piercing or tattoo), and your body is less able to naturally fight any infection whilst pregnant. So whilst it's true that the baby can be adversely affected by any infection that you get, the effect to the mum is also more significant than if she was not pregnant.

rhyb Guest

Im with Suse on this. Wait til after bubs is born. My bestie has hers done and it looks so cute but I cant get surfaces (not even my belly it rejects straight away). I wanna get my cheeks done (like dimples) but that effects where you can work and so on

I have 2 implants in my sternum and plan to have another 5 put in there to finish off the "design". Other piercings at the moment include tongue, implants in wrist, piercing in navel, nipple, 4 in ears. On the waiting list is 5 more in sternum, industrial ear, implants in other wrist and nape. Very. Expensive. Habit.

Only an unprofessional piercer will do you while you are pregnant.

Even if they did I would NOT suggest a sternum during pregnancy as they initially require a lot of attention and your body uses a lot of energy healing them and getting used to the fact that they are not a foriegn object to be rejected.

Some piercings will reject regardless of how well they are pierced...it depends on the individual. A LOT of people cannot hold in sternum piercings becuase the skin there is so delicate, it just doesn't hold.

You wouldn't want a rejection while pregnant. You would be exhausted.

Join my "I am dying for my next body modification but have to wait until my baby is born" club! :-P

BTW...my implants are different to a normal surface piercing. Get your piercer to explain and you can make a decision on which you prefer.

Honestly - I wouldn't waste my money. It will grow out within a couple of months because of where it is located. Plus, I can't imagine it being too comfortable when bub grabs it my mistake.

Plus, anyone who pierces a pregnant woman would seem way dodgy in my books.

You're one brave woman if you get it done... ouch!

Well said amysarah.

If you still want it done after pregnancy I would go implants and NOT a surface piercing. Implants are more pricey and a different procedure but from personal experience I can say that they are so many times better than a surface piercing. Surfaces are a total PITA. Implants sit flush (flat) against the skin so there is no pulling, grabbing or getting caught on things.

As with all piercings, implants can get taken out but you must go to a piercer to get them cut out and removed. So they are a more permanent option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast