Thread: Supermarket Shampoos

Default Supermarket Shampoos

So after years of only buying 'Professional' shampoos and conditioners- you know, the types you buy from hairdressers or Hairhouse Warehouse type shops, i finally bit the bullet and bought a shampoo and conditioner from the supermarket the other day...................and can i just say, WOW!!!!!
    My hair looks awesome. I'm spewing thinking about all the money i've wasted over the last 10yrs or so!
    So, has anyone else found this?
    Are the supermarket type brands just getting a lot better than they used to be? Or have i been kidding myself for all these years?

really???? which one???

I use Tresemme and it's been great. I used a really expensive salon one previously too and the Tresemme seems to work just as well.
    The other thing I noticed with the Supermarkets as they are getting alot of the Salon brand names on their shelves. So I think they are just getting better and better.
    Which one did you use Ginger?

Hey ginger...similar story to yours...always bought the salon brand or exxy brand shampoos vowing never ever to go near supermarket brands...since being a SAHM those luxuries seemed to have diminished, and i too ventured into supermarket brands, and i too found tresemme FANTASTIC....my golly, talk about value for money, the size of the container is sure to last me 8+months...
    dunno if they have changed their formula...maybe we're just poorer and appreciate the littler things in life.....

There is a NZ show called What's really in our... and the other week it was about Shampoo. They did a blind trial where the ladies washed one side of their hair with supermarket brand and one side with saloon for a couple of weeks and then reported which side was better - the supermarket brand ended up having better results.

I use Tre Semme and I love it. I have only ever used the cheapest (that says when tre semme is on special two for ten dollars it is biggest value for money!) such as nature spa or whatever it is called but i have been using TS for 6-8months now and my hair is finally healthy!

I use organic care shampoo and conditioner and loving it!

thanks for your replies girls
    i'm actually shocked at how good my hair is looking, even 2 days after last washing it!

mbear- i think maybe you're right maybe i just appreciate things more now that i'm a SAHM

muminalice- that's the brand i used! it's called 'Organic Care'.
    i'm going to buy their bodywash today too, i'll let you all know how it goes

That "Organic Care" one isn't too bad if it's the one I'm thinking of... brown bottle? No parabens etc. I buy it when I can't afford Moo Goo. On the whole though 99% of supermarket shampoos are just fragranced detergents. My teen daughter has independantly decided she doesn't like supermarket shampoos and will only use moogoo now. Generally speaking I wouldn't rave too much about supermarket shampoos but i have never used those expensive salon brands either... I tend to favour ones found in health food stores to be honest. But yes, i have seen that study and the expensive ones fair no better (and usually do worse0 than your average supermarket one... and the supermarket one would be ok for short term use... i just try to keep chemicals to a minimum and that's not easy if you only shop in a supermarket... unless you buy the ingredients to make your own shampoo from scratch that is