Thread: For those who cleanse, tone, moisturise...

Default For those who cleanse, tone, moisturise...

when (if at all) do you start cleanse, tone and mositurising your baby? Right now DS has just water and occasionally baby soap in the bath on his face, but he looks like he has inherited my skin type and soap just gives me the most awful acne - I suffered since primary school and still did last month when I ran out of cleanser so used soap for 2 days - and I want to look after his skin.

So when should I introduce the routine?

I found that when I mucked around too much with toners my skin was much worse than it is these days where i pretty much leave things alone. I think that exfoliation is more important than toning. Recently I've started using the MiEssence garnet exfoliation cream and it is doing wonders. I wouldn't use an exfoliating cream on a baby but a similar result can be achieved by rubbing with a dry towel. I think skin thrives when it's natural balance is achieved. Diet can muck up the balance too, and stress... hopefully your bub won't have these issues anyhow.

With our baby we basically just hold him under the shower with us and only use a little MooGoo soap on his bottom and feet. So far he is the only bub of mine that has escaped soap induced ezcema! After his shower I give him a rub down massage with the towel on his change table. So far so good. I think just keep it simple. I don't moisturise either at this stage but if I did I'd make sure I used the most natural one I could find... maybe just a bit of almond oil.

Bath, believe me, I've tried the natural route, I've tried face masks, I've tried exfoliation. I need to cleanse, tone, moisturise. I can get away with just cleansing in the morning so long as I do all three at night. And I can't use nut oils as DH is allergic to nuts - without any soap DS still has mild eczema and I have a heavy-duty prescription moisturiser I use on that. I only use soap rarely if he's really, really messy (porridge in the hair, food down his chest...) and I think last night was the first time in 4-5 months.

But that's a digression. I want to do what's best for DS's skin and I believe that's using at least cleanser on it - so when to start?

I think perhaps for a kid, before they start producing excess oil in puberty, that the most important thing is to keep their skin clean. Do you have anything like Cetaphil in the UK? That's really gentle, we used that in Riv's bath when he was newborn, and I used it when I was a teenager to clean my face.
    The other one would be that Ego stuff. They're both pretty cheap too, but very gentle yet effective!

Or perhaps a vegemite mask? River seems to take that option most days...

Hi Caryn,

I'm sure you have tried everything, but ever tried Cetaphil? I've had eczema for years and it was the only cleanser i could use because it's so gentle yet effective, it could be good for your DS skin? I've heard Cetpahil even being recommended for people suffering from acne too.

Ryn, I'd only use a cleanser if you have to. Lots of things are made worse by the cleansers iykwim?

Babies do NOT need a toner babe.

LOL Nelle - We posted almost the same thing at the same time

Never heard of Cetaphil, but I will look for it. Thanks for the tip.

I don't use anything on DS's face ATM, I was just wondering when to start and with what! Just in case you were worried I was already doing it.

You could use Cetaphil on his whole body really Ryn, and then just also wash his face at bathtimes or whenever. It's good because I don't think it strips the skin of oils like other cleaners/soaps can.

I wonder if Cetaphil has another name in the UK maybe??
    So many ladies around here advocate it.
    Hey Nelle, is there any further manufacturer info on the bottle that may be of help?

it's called cetaphil in the UK, there's a website with the stock standard uk IP address.
    Last edited by Pandora; December 12th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

I just looked at the ingredients and it's got alcohol and sls in it...which I'm not a fan of, but I'm such a fan of Cetaphil! I'm guessing it's good because there's not many ingredients in it, and the main ingredient is water?

Some alcohols are added just as preservatives so that the product lasts! So it's not always a bad thing - also some alcohols are from natural products...

I noticed you said that he has mild eczema - the best thing I've used is Hemp hand protector from The Body Shop! I used that on Dylan and he hasn't had to use any medication and you wouldn't even know he has eczema! You can also use it all over or use a Hemp body butter...worth a try!

I definitely wouldn't be using toner - but cleansing and moisturising should be a help!