Thread: What can you tell me about getting false nails?

Default What can you tell me about getting false nails?

Hi,

I've never had or even considered getting false nails until the last few days. Its just an idea for now, but I have no idea what I would need to consider when looking into it. I'm totally clueless .

I've always been a nail biter and on the rare occurances where I've actually grown them they tend to bend or twist once they get longer then my finger tip - hence one of the reason I tend to bite them - they're not the best looking natural fingernails (though main reason I tend to bite them is an anxiety and boredom thing...and I'll also admit I sometimes also bit the skin around to...its bad I know )

So...Is there different types of false nails?
    What do you's recommend?
    How much do they cost (and continued maintenance)?
    What happens exactly in the process?
    How often do you need to go back?
    What do I need to look for in a salon (any recommendations on the Gold Coast too)?
    Do I need to prepare my nails somehow before getting them done the first time (I'm guessing I'll have to stop biting them and the skin around first though)?
    What happens if I don't want to continue getting them done?
    Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

[QUOTE=Bec7;2447100]finger tip - hence one of the reason I tend to bite them - they're not the best looking natural fingernails (though main reason I tend to bite them is an anxiety and boredom thing...and I'll also admit I sometimes also bit the skin around to...its bad I know )

So...Is there different types of false nails? Yes gel and acrylic
    What do you's recommend?
    How much do they cost (and continued maintenance)? about $60 to $80 to get done initially then about $25-40 to get the infills every few weeks.
    What happens exactly in the process? They scrape and destroy the top layer of your own nail to get a good surface for the fake nail to stick to.
    How often do you need to go back? Every few weeks
    What do I need to look for in a salon (any recommendations on the Gold Coast too)? Cleanliness
    Do I need to prepare my nails somehow before getting them done the first time (I'm guessing I'll have to stop biting them and the skin around first though)? Not that i know of
    What happens if I don't want to continue getting them done? You have to get them removed and your own nails look terrible for a fair while cause they are in such a bad condition.
    Is there anything else I should know? Its not cheap to upkeep them and your own nails really suffer. I ahd them for a few years and loved them but DH hated them and we couldn't afford it after a while anyway.

Mrsmac has covered most of it, it really is a commitment, not just a one off thing because ur nails really do like like poo for ages when u take them off.
    My one suggestion would be to pay the extra and go to a salon, not the cheap nail bars that offer sets for $40

Always get gel not acrylic. Gel is better for your nails.

If you want to try it out, get your toenails done first. That way if you dont like them or the upkeep is too much it doesnt matter if they look worse for wear when they are removed!

I can only add that it hurts once they are taken off and they rip off half of your real nail with them....

But otherwise - they do look awesome, and I miss mine!

My nails took a yr to recover after having them, but they do look pretty!

i just used clear nail polish after having mine removed to protect them til they grew back

I would also reccomend Gel nails, but they are more expensive and less sturdy.
    I've always had mine professionally removed to minimise the damage, and its worked out pretty good
    I have heard of ladies with nail biting obsessions, also chewing off the acrylic nail..... YUK.