Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Shampoo / Conditioner do you use?

Amelia Guest

Well I seem to be the only one that uses Dove....It is the only one that doesn't make my scalp itchy. But all my toiletries are Dove....soap, face wash, mosturiser, everything!!! DH uses the Sunsilk for men, when I run out I use it and from using it once my head itches for days!!

Just another tip....My hairdresser told me to shampoo my hair twice when I wash cause I use to use a lot of product in my hair cause it was real short and it use to get real oily, and I noticed that it helped the oiliness. I use to wash every day and now every second. And I do a treatment every second wash and that seems to help as well.

I hate Tresamme. See, I can't even spell it. I got some a while back now and it makes my hair so knotty and dry. My mum has tried it too and doesn't like it.

ATM I am using Herbal Essences, I love the smell of it. But usually I am a Pantene girl. As long as I can keep the boys away from it, it's ok. They like the smell of the Herbal Essences too, damn it.

I have found that I need to start using what ever I use for my hair for Tehya's too. The longer it get's the more she is needing the conditioner. Doesn't help that she has curls too. It gets knotty very easily with the kids shampoo's and conditioners they have out there.

We normaly use Pantene, because DH LOVES it and hates all the other shampoos/conditioners!

I have used Tresemse a few times - I dont mind the shampoo but the conditioner doesnt do much for me.

Me and the girls use Alchemy.....about $25 for a 500ml pump pack of shampoo.
    Formulated free from it is ingredient-rich, vegan, using certified organic ingredients where possible, 100% natural botanical aromatherapy and formulated without animal ingredients or animal testing. SOme of the smells (esp lavender) are divine.

Check the back of your shampoo bottle for the following: sulfates, ethoxylates, parabens, propylene glycol, petrochemical cleansers, silicones, phthalates, mineral oils, DEA and artificial colours. - if yr shampoo/cond contains any of these, stop using them....its the same sort of thing used in dishwashing detergant and car cleaner....its what makes all those lovely (ugh) foaming bubbles....and coates your shower in that yucky soap flim...

I agree with Mbear - those chemicals are everywhere, in cosmetics, shampoos, soaps, body wash, detergents, cleaners, face cleansers etc and they are toxic. Just be aware what you are putting on your skin can go into your skin too... your skin obsorbs everything you put on it.

I was warned about a chemical called "Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate" once from a friend and since reading about it have learnt many things about it and makes me more cautious about products like shampoos etc.... i googled it.

I think what happens is that those products we use ie herbal essences, pantene etc coat our hair with synthetic chemicals and it feels like our hair is being moisturised but in fact it's actually destroying our hair! it's the salysilic (sp?) acid in it too that does it and makes it feel so smooth and nice and the "parfum" in it also makes it smell really, really good like strawberries when in fact no strawberries were even used.

Also be aware of products that say "organics" or "organic blends" etc etc on the front of the bottle, because all the product needs is like 2% organic matter (or something like that don't quote me on it) in it, and they can put that on their label. Consumer thinks it's "good for them" when in fact, it's not as good as we think. it's misleading. these companies are trying to make money so will use the cheapest ingredients and not good products....(polypropylene and parabens are petroleum by-products!!!!! from oil!!!)
    sorry, I'm only saying this so that you are all aware. just read labels and be aware of what you are using as it's your body. if you can't spell the word, then it's probably not good for you....that's what i've learnt.
    I use "natural instincts" products as NO harsh chemicals, ALL natural... nothing synthetic. once a week i might use herbal essences for a change as it does make my hair feel good!

Mbear - where can you buy Alchemy shampoo and conditioner? I was reading about it on the net just then after you mentioned it and I'd like to try some! Can you only buy it online or in pharmacies?? I'm in QLD.

OMG! Thanks girls for posting the question and replying. I have recentally switched shampoo and conditioner and my hair is so gross. I have coloured hair, well only streaks through it and found my hair feels more oily, limp and gross. It doesnt have a nice feel after washing it. So value for money Tresseme was good but its wrecking my hair, I think its just cheap stuff marketed to be much better thna what it really is.
    I wont touch Pantene because of whats it done to my hair in the past.
    The new range of sunsilk hasnt been too good either.

I have used garnier fructis and love it as well as Dove. A hairdresser who does only hair cutting etc not in for promoting the products she sells recommened it. Im going to go back to it now, I switched to save money but am willing to spend more to get my lovely hair back again.

I also agree that the Coles Organics is a really cheap shampoo / conditioner range which is quite good as well.

Renstar - google tvsn...(tv shopping network).......Love your comment re: if you cant say the word !! Same goes with food labels i suppose doesnt it !!!

Mbear - i totally agree with you! We are along the same lines there i think..... I mean, i am not obsessed about it all, however it's important to be aware of these things...
    I'll google that. thanks

I agree, I use the Natural Instincts range or sometimes the Organic Care cause that is Australian owned too.

Sazzafrazz - how do you find the Natural Instincts brand? I like it and i like supporting an Australian company too!! Also, you don't need to use as much as normal products therefore spend about the same amount of $$ in the long run... its not that expensive anyway is it?? it's quite affordable really... my friend recommended it to me. I also have used the facial cream cleanser but find that leaves my skin feeling like it has a coating on it like greasy kinda feel and i don't like it!!! I think im just used to chemicals on my skin (from previous) so takes some getting used to.

you can normally get alchemy at a health food shop too

I tried the Organic Care range last night.
    I loved the shampoo - but hated the conditioner. Ended up using Herbal Essence conditioner after using the Organic Care one. Felt the Organic Care shampoo left my hair feeling lighter after washing then the Herbal Essence does, but the conditoner, it felt really stringy and still very knotty. I like to have smooth silky hair after I condition.

I have frizzy hair and I recently started using tresemme and OMG its brilliant. I can instantly feel the difference. I tried avon but found it really damaged my hair. I think its something you need to try till you find something that works for you. I've used alot of salon shampoos but I really think tresemme is just as good if not better. Ideally I would love to use L'Occitane but its a bit to expensive. Its divine and my hair feels healthier and more natural most definitely but its like $30 per bottle or something and they aren't that big.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I alternate between Moo Goo's Shampoo and MiEssences Dessert Flower (same company that makes InLiven). I'm keen to avoid unnesesary chemical overload.... plus these shampoos are lovely ($14/$16 per bottles)... worth the extra cost... go further anyhow and very safe for use with my baby/children. Also they are more gentle on my Dh's scalp that suffers from psorasis. Oh and I adore L'Occitane products too Cailin... must give it a try.... but $30 is a bit of an issue.... my hair is very resilient I don't need to pamper it too much to look good fortunately.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; May 8th, 2007 at 03:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12