Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #19

Trish I found them where they have the meal sachets. You know the ones I am talking about. Like the Maggi, McCormicks packets. I think a few stores are a little slow on the uptake on them. You may have to look at a few stores. I found one nearby only sold a couple of varieties and the other store nearby sold some other ones. Neither had all of the range.

Thanks Trish! That was the section I looked in, I thought that's where they should be. Oh well, I'll have to try some others.

trish there in the isle with all the packet stuff like curried sausages etc and herbs/spices i got mine from coles but im sure saefway would have them too.

aldi had slow cookers this week for $39!! bargin!!

the beef and mushroom ragout was awesome, we had it the other night!!

cai thanks for the heads up on the cook book!!

Thanks AJP, that is where I looked, but maybe it's just my supermarket who are behind the times? I'll check out Coles next. I saw the Aldi special the other day and was so cut because we'd just bought a slow cooker a couple of weeks ago for $75! (Luckily we had a David Jones gift card, so it really wasn't our money anyway, but still...)

where do you live trish?

Cailin, thanks for the tip about the McCormicks book. I just emailed them as well.

Nic

Thanks for the tip Cai! I've emailed for one as well... DH looked everywhere to get a slow cooker cookbook for Mother's Day and said everyone told him they were sold out!!!

I've done the lamb shank McCormicks pack and it was YUMMO!

Trish, I haven't looked in Safeway for the SC mixes, but I know they are in Coles, with the other dinner mix packets. ( OMG, how dumb of a description was that?!?) Um, Maggi cook in a pot and those sorts of little goody sachets. Spice aisle?
    I have gone off my SC since being pg. Really so not in the mood for casseroley type foods. Am enjoying crispy chicken though. I made a super easy roast the other night, shopped up potatoes and carrots (smaller than I usually do, about an inch 1/2 across), tossed in a bit of oil and some mccormick or masterfood roast veg spices (read: mainly salt! But Yum!), put chicken thighs skin side up (also oiled and sprinkled with salty spices) on top of the veg, roasted, uncovered for one hour at 170 degrees (FF), and wa-la! MMMMMM, yummy crispy skin roast chicken and vegies...... (I did two thighs for each person). I have not yet had much success in doing 'large' roasts (ie, full chook or leg of something), so thismade me happy, and the smell was great too.
    Sorry, not really SC food was it?

Thanks Netix, I will definitely have a look next time I'm at Coles.

AJP - I live in Forest Hill. I will try Forest Hill Chase this week!

I haven't had a problem finding the packet bases. I made the beef and mushroom ragout in the oven the other week and it was delish! The kids did think it was a bit spicy though. I have finally brought a SC though - a 6lt ronson one. I did want a 6.5lt one that harvey norman had on special for $79, but they were jerking me around and couldnt' tell me when they would have them in so I got it at target. last night I made curried beef with tomato (my own recipe which I used to just make in the oven) for today as I was out all day and it was sooo nice to walk in and just pop the pot back in and warm it up. I will get some chicken out tonight so I can make Lucy's lemon chicken tomorrow.

I've been working on my SC lately, but I'm needing some new recipes... may have to peruse the recipe section again. I've been making heaps of soups, vege, barley and chicken soup today, last week I made Potato, ham and leek soup.

But seeing as I'm working heaps lately I need to be able to have recipes on hand & stuff ready to go.

Hi Gals
    I am now a slow cooker converted. We got one on Sunday, and had meals in it ever since!
    I cooked a roast chicken in it yesterday, ready for dinner tonight, but I am wondering how long I should out it back on to reheat?
    It is currently sitting in the fridge in the crock pot and stock.
    I was thinking 3 hours on slow to reheat.
    Also I was thinking of using the juices to make a gravy for it (I think I read that tip in one of the recipes)
    Can I take the juices out before I reheat the chook, or reheat it, take the juices out and make the gravy that way?

Oh I hope someone is in here soon to help me!
    I am now off to eat left over sausage casserole that I made the other night. It was so yummo, and I just threw what I found in!

Wink Slacker with a Slow Cooker...

so i bought a slow cooker about 4 months ago and i've only used it once!!!
    please help- give me some inspiration to pull it out and dust the cobwebs off it
    i need your best ever, tastiest, easiest slow cooker favourite that will motivate me to keep using it!
    chicken or vegetarian only please as we don't eat red meat around here
    thank you so so so much

Hi Gracie. I'm a slacker too so I got some McCormick slow cooker flavour bases from the supermarket. They are made especially for slow cookers. there is a mild chicken curry one. there is a lamb one too but you could leave the lamb out and just add more vegies I haven't actually used it yet but it looks delicious on the packet!!! HTH

Gracie, check out the slow cooker recipe thread http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/reci...r-recipes.html - there are loads of chicken recipes and a few vegetarian ones too.

thanks sherie, i'm going to try the vegetable curry tomorrow

thanks catherine, i'll keep my eye open for them

Hi

Just started using my slow cooker in the last few weeks.................. am i the only person that can burn something in a SC???? Man! i made a sausage casserole and it burnt around the edges, was salvageable but not perfect IYKWIM!

How does the Auto setting work?

Thanks for all the recipes in the SC recipe thread, that is awsome, going to give a few a go.

Ange - I want to know what the go is with the Auto setting too! I managed to ruin some cannelloni so don't feel bad for burning a casserole. I don't understand how canelloni can even cook properly in a SC! All the edges stayed dry and the pasta just stuck together. I ended up giving it to the dog .

Gracie - I have just bought a couple of sachets of the McCormicks SC mix. I'm going to try one of them this week.

Thanks for the McCormicks advice BTW everyone, I finally found some at Coles. I don't know why our Safeway don't have it, they must be behind the times!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast