Thread: slow cooker help

Question slow cooker help

i think i have a dud slow cooker, it seems to burn really quickly on low.
    i have a lamb curry in, has been since 8am and within a few hours it seems to have burnt aroound the edges/sides etc.. i should say its about 18 months old and has always done this.
    also is the lid ment to fit snuggly? mine doesnt and not sure if thats allowing too much steam out.

Mine also seems to cook faster than other peoples.
    Is too much steam is getting out you could use more water.
    I cook lots from frozen so it takes longer also if it is too hot I just sit the lid so it's only half on.

i think i'll have to add some, didnt have any to start with just tin of toms..off to add water!
    thanks hun!

Quote Originally Posted by brontide View Post
    Mine also seems to cook faster than other peoples.
    Mine too!

AJ, what model/brand do you have?

My lid doesn't fit snugly to the point where no steam gets out. It does let steam out - I get moisture beuildup aroudn the edge of the lid and it vents out itself and makes the lid rattle a little when it does. I don't know if this is normal or not but it has always done this.

Maybe try more fluid or even using a little spray oil or similar on the bowl as this may prevent it sticking quite so much and decrease the burning.

What colour is your bowl? I am sure that I had a discussion with BG at some stage (the lucky girl has two SCs) and she said that the one with the white bowl didn't burn as much as the one with the black bowl (or at least that is what I remember - I can't find the post this second). My bowl is black and does burn occasionally - I find that it is usually when I have had it on the low setting and been cookign it for a long time - it doesn't happen when I cook on high for 4 hours like a lot of my recipes say but if I cook on low for 8 hours it does tend to burn more often.

Mine is a Russel Hobbs. A few other girls who have them have said they cok a bit hotter.

I have a Russell Hobbs too and like muppity's it gets the moisture build up around the edge of the glass lid.

i have a sunbeam with a black bowl, interesting about the black/white burning issue
    i spray with oil too

thanks ladies, glad im not the only one!