Thread: Australia Day Cake

Default Australia Day Cake

ok ok ..I know it is a little OTT but I am having an Australia day BBQ and I really want to get a cake with the flag printed on it hehehe..nerdy I know !. Has anyone seen any of the main stream cake shops doing this? Or anyone in the Sydney Hills District?.

Hope you all have a nice OTT Australia day as well

LOL Cass!!! Sorry no answers for you but definately not having an OTT Australia Day here... just some time off.

Wow sounds great! I'm sure you could definitely request it quite easily!

My gf has her citizenship day anniversary tomorrow so we'll be going there for a bbq

*hugs*
    Cailin

One of my kids cake books has a Aust flag design. It uses fruit - Strawberries and Blueberries for the colour on a white iced rectangular slab cake.

If you want I can scan and email you a copy of the recipe.

Oh Rachel I would love a copy of the recipe ..but only if you hav ethe time . My email is [email protected]

Thanks girls ...I think I will pop up to the cake shop as well just to look but making it would be heaps more fun :-)

Yeah I agree... making cakes is waaaaaay more fun

If you got a basic cake and covered it however you like (I'm thinking chocolate buttercream) then you could get red blue and white sprinkles and coat the sides of the cake... and for the flag just get some fondant icing and colour blue, red and white and make it that way... would be VERY easy

*hugs*
    Cailin

I'd even just make up a heap of butter icing, and then just seperate it into 3 bowls and color one red and one blue and then ice it as per the flag....easy peasy...maybe cut out some stars etc and use them as stencils, or get some already made fondant from the supermarket and use the stencils to cut out stars and stick them on the 'blue' icing, that way it would look more real...

The imagination is running wild...hehehe...oh i think i'm gunna have to make one now too!!!

Cass, I'll grab the book, scan it and email it off.

Anyone else feeling patriotic and want it?

Poo! Cass, I lent the book to a g/f to make her son's birthday cake and I haven't got it back yet! If you can wait until tonight, I can get her to scan it and send it to me and then I'll forward it to you.

It was very easy though, make a big slab cake - depending on how big you want to make it. If you make 3 quantity of a standard butter cake (or even butter cake packet mix) it will fill a regular rectanglar baking tray. Then as the others have suggested just copy the Aust flag and use either blue, white & red icing, or strawberries and blueberries, or sprinkles. You can do a basic trace out of the design using a toothpick or skewer to get the lines, then fill them in with your 'colour' method of choice.

Let me know if you want me to get it from my g/f when she's home from work today.