Thread: Can you freeze chocolate?

Question Can you freeze chocolate?

I just saw an ad that said Kmart have got 20% off Easter Eggs. I haven't got any room in my fridge and they're bound to melt in the cupboard so can I put them in the deep freeze?

I've got heaps of room in there, do you think if I took them out the night before they would be ok?

TIA

Nah they go all crumbly when they thaw out. Its gross.

I've got plenty of room in my fridge... trust me? heehee

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure the chocolate turns a bit chalky/white when you freeze it. I could be wrong though. Maybe experiment with one?

even if they were frozen they wouldnt last here!!

do you have a dark, cool cupboard?

I have the pantry cupboard but I think it might get hot, esp as easter is still a way away...I wonder if I can layby them...?

When I worked for Kmart in the layby section you couldn't layby any food items at all mate - so I'd say no

But the offer to use my fridge still stands

My aunty quite often buys easter eggs early and stores them. She puts them in an esky (no ice) and then keeps the esky in the coolest part of the house like in the walk in wardrobe etc. She said it keeps her chocolates perfect. Worth a try maybe?

What a good idea! I love BB for things like this

Thanks Mel but no one gets their sticky mits on my choc

Awww CQ... I'd wash my mitts first so they weren't sticky...

lol the first thing I thought when I saw this thread was don't know but why would you want to lol (preggo lady who is craving anything and everuything sweet!) The esky sounds like a great idea! I'm due on the 18th April so I need to get prepared soon incase of an early arrival and so i don't have to go shopping so heavily preg

I was going to suggest the esky idea too.

Chocolate changes colour ('blooms') when it goes warm (the cocoa butter separates from the cocoa solids). So when chocolate is frozen, its more likely to bloom when it is defrosted.

I freeze choccies all the time, I love to eat them straight out of the freezer on warmer days. *Some* chocolates will bloom (get those icky white patches) but I'd say in my experience, 95% don't, and I usually find it is lower-quality chocolates that bloom or get that crumbly texture (btw, blooming doesn't affect the taste, texture or anything else - just the look, and if the choccies are intended for kids, they're not usually fussed about a bit of solidified fat/milk solids!), so if you're buying good-quality stuff you shouldn't have a problem.
    And, a trick I have found helpful if you're concerned, is that transferring your choccies from the freezer to the fridge first, *then* out into room temp, will help prevent blooming as it is caused by temperature change, and popping them in the fridge to 'defrost' first will lessen the chances of it blooming because it's not such a drastic change, kwim?

You can always serve chocolate straight from the freezer - it's nice and cold and 'snappy' rather than squidgy, in fact I much prefer it to room temperature. You can take the chocolates out of the freezer any old time you wish, whether it be the day before or ten minutes before and it will be delicious

HTH