In my Zombie proof fortress.

Choc Halelnut Torte

5 egg whites
    1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
    1 1/2 cups (150g) hazelnut meal
    1 cup (320g) choc hazlenut spread
    600ml thickened cream, whipped
    Cocoa powder for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 160 c (140c fan forced). Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Mark 2 rectangles 25cm x 12cm on each tray. Turn over, so pencil lines are down.
    2. Beat egg whites till soft peaks form with an electric mixer. Gradually add sugar, beat until dissolved. Fold in hazelnut meal
    3. Spread 1/4 of the mixture evenly over each outlined rectangle. Bake, swapping trays half way through cooking, for about 40 minutes or until crisp. Cool on trays
    4. Place choc hazelnut spread in small microwave proof bowl. Microwave on high for 20 sec or until a spreadable consistency. Spread 3 of the meringue rectangles evenly with choc hazelnut spread. Reserve 4th rectangle for top layer.
    5. Place one of the chocolate topped rectangles on serving plate. Spread with 1/3 of the whipped cream. Continue layering. Top with last rectangle. Serve lightly dusted with cocoa.

Notes.
    • Is ok on the day, but really does taste better after a day in the fridge
    • Keeps for 2 days in the fridge if you really want it to last that long.
    • Get more choc hazelnut spread than listed, easier to spread with extra, plus if you are like me you eat it as you go.

Ok, this is mine. It is wonky and I was a bit heavy handed with the cocoa. Also the dimensions are not right, as I had to alter to fit on my trays. Still tastes good though.
    https://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums...hp?photo=13184

Last edited by Astrid; April 28th, 2009 at 09:45 PM. : gallery link

Jan 2009

MMMMmmmm, reminding me of a delicious hazlenut choc brownie recipe I tried before I was watching my weight!

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Thank you so much for posting I might do it in rounds, do you think it would matter?

Oct 2004

Rounds would work, rectangles do slice nicely though. You can make individual rounds for each person.

Nov 2008

All I can say is Yummo! I made it yesterday and I'm just finishing off a piece right now. Thanks for the recipe Astrid.

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Ok I made this today Will be sure to take a photo it looks awesome, and I did the rectangles

Oct 2004

How did it taste?!

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

It was delish We'll being having leftovers for afternoon tea, so I'll get to experience "the day after" to compare... so will definitely report back with comments

Here's my pic (looks almost identical yay so I didn't mess it up LOL) And even though I thought it looked small (when drawing the rectangles) you can actually get 12 decent sized portions out of it.

Oct 2004

Yours is so much neater than mine! Have to admit that I was very rushed with mine, so did not have a huge amount of time to neaten it. What did you do to get it neater?

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

What do you mean? LOL I think it looks exactly the same?! I have cake decorating spatulas (like big flat knife thingy's) that I used to spread everything but I thought it looked exactly the same?! LOL!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

Ooohhh that looks scrummy. Is it hard to make? Can you get hazelnut meal from the supermarket? I saw it at Nutshack yesterday anyway. Could you use melted chocolate instead of choc spread do you think?

Jul 2007
    melb

Looks fantastic!!! yum yum

but way to hard for me!!!!!

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

You could use ganache nelle, but I don't think it would taste the same. The reason why they use nutella is for the hazelnut flavour its like a big ferrerro tasting meringue. Definitely NOT hard. Extremely easy. The hardest bit to be honest is drawing your rectangle right LOL! Then its just like painting with food

ETA: Yup we got the meal from safeway in 150g bag

Oct 2004

Metal spatulas - yet another thing to add to my ever growing "must buy for the kitchen" list.

Nelle - yep you can get the little packets from the supermarket, they are the exact amount as well. Lucky brand I think. You need the gooiness of of the Nutella. There are other versions though, some with chocolate in the meringue part. Will look to see what they do for the middle.

ETA: There are some cream and melted chocolate fillings, one with coffee. Would be nice, but the nutella is just easier.
    Just realised there is a spelling mistake in the thread title
    Last edited by Astrid; May 17th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I'm just not big on hazelnut spread...think Rans eating it off the spoon has put me off it...

Oct 2004

I'm just not big on hazelnut spread...think Rans eating it off the spoon has put me off it...
    I can't have it in the house otherwise I eat the lot! I finished off the jar left over from the torte. I was so sad, every time DD1 came into the kitchen I hid behind the pantry door so I would not have to share it with her

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

You could do blonde ganache, which is made with coffee white chocolate and cream. Its a nigella recipe, you'd just have to fridge it till it got to spreading thickness and that would be scrummy.

Oct 2004

Cailin - how did the next day taste test go?