Thread: First birthday cake ideas.....

Default First birthday cake ideas.....

Ok so I'm a bit early but if I need to buy pan's etc I want to have time to do that on ebay etc.....

I want to explore your wonderful creative brains - I want a first birthday cake but want to steer clear of any branded stuff (eg Dora, Barbie etc) and cupcakes and butterflies have been done lots so I want something really different! DH wants me to do a train with mint slice wheels but not sure how to make it so its not too boyish?!

I was thinking cupcakes originally though in the shape of a big ONE..... Mmmmm I need to feed about 30 people too!

Any ideas!!!!?????!!!!

I think its a golden circle or womans weekly cookbook they sell in Big W that has a heap of great cake ideas how to make them and decorate them etc.

i know i saw a train in there.

good luck

Oh, ice-cream caterpillar cake! Can do 'segments' for everyone and decorate at will! Yummy, too!

Were you saying you don't want to do cupcakes?
    Oh well, my suggestion was make cupcakes and decorate / colour them in the shape of a rainbow.
    You can even make some with pots of gold at the end
    I just thought cupcales cos its slightly simpler

Hi,

Yea it's the womens weekly childrens birthday cake cookbook there are heaps of great ideas in!!

Oh I like the rainbow idea with cupcakes Ash!! I guess Im not totally against them if they are something different!! Having said that I just googled and found some lady bug ones that are kinda quirky but cute too .... ah so hard to choose

a train could easily be girly if you changed the colors on there - lots of pinks and purples, carriages with girly colored lollies...

the cupcake rainbow sounds cool too! and you could get the gold chocolate coins for the pots of gold... though you'd have to do either a really big cake, or really little cupcakes to make the shape work...

good luck - i love the sounds of lady bugs - ae you having a them for Izzy's birthday party - or are you planning the theme around the cake?

Not really having a theme as such, so we are pretty free to choose anything!! Yay - I agree about the cupcakes - maybe those teeny tiny ones?? Mmmmm not sure..

Is there something that she likes in particular? Books, cars, babies, music etc? Maybe use that as a starting off point?

He he Tan never too early to start thinking about Izzy's first birthday cake!
    The rainbow idea sounds cool but then so does a lady bug!

I am still thinking about what to do for Ellie's cake - DH wants me to do 'Elmo' as she absolutely adores him but I'm not sure where to start with that one! I'll be watching this thread.......like Sarah said, is there anything that she really likes?
    Last edited by sangie; April 3rd, 2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling!

Mmmm books, dancing, yoga (She does the most amazing downward dog pose!) Ummmm the song twinkle twinkle little star.... our surname has the word star in it too so am thinking sopemthing with stars now too... will keep thinking - thanks for the ideas all, keep em coming!

I'm a big fan of the Womans Weekly cake books, I have three of them & Charlie is not yet 1,he,he.

I will admitt the oldest one that I had to buy on ebay is the best book & they have lots of great ideas. You could do a teddy, a castle, ballerina, bunny, pig (there is such a cute pink pig in the second book)...the list goes on.

As for the train, I made one recently for a party Charlie had before we moved. A great success, just change the colour of the icing & use red liquorice etc.

Maybe get smaller star cake tins & have a group of stars instead of one big cake? I've seen them at Spotlight (I think), they're supposed to be for 2 people. Then what you can do to make them "sparkly" is use colour sugar or jelly crystals on top of your icing.