Thread: honeycomb

Default honeycomb

Anyone have a recipe? I thought I had one and planned to include this in my Christmas hampers, but now I can't find it :frown:
    Can anyone help? Thanks.

Snacks,
    Here is a honeycomb recipe from The Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook (1970):
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    2 tablespoons water
    1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

Place sugar, honey, golden syrup, and water into saucepan, dissolve over low heat, stirring occaisionally. When sugar has dissolved, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low; heat should be just sufficient to keep mixture gently boiling. Cook approximately 12 to 15 minutes or until syrup is brittle when a litle is dropped in cold water; cooking time will vary slightly, depending on size and thickness of saucepan.
    Be careful syrup does not burn. Remove from heat, stir in bicarbonate of soda quickly. Pour immediately into greased 6in. sandwich tin. When cold, break into pieces.

Good luck!

Thank you Netix!
    I'll give it a try tomorrow.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

ohh I was going to make some too for FIL and put it in rocky road too - great idea Amy ... will you still have time ?

LOL Trish, I have waaaaay too much time ATM! Looking for things to keep this mind occupied

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

to you and

hope you have time to eat it too

How did the honeycomb go Snacks? I feel like making it too now!

Wow that recipe sounds good and almost as old as mine LOL! Mines an old Irish recipe for Yellowman aka honeycomb Used to be served at the fair with dulse which was eaten like pototo chips (crisps), which is a type of seaweed they used to dry on their rooves in the sun... The strange things my granny used to tell me LOL!

1 1/2C golden or corn syrup
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 TBS (heaped) Butter
    1 Tsp Baking Soda.

In a large saucepan slowly melt together all the ingredients except the baking soda. Do not stir. Boil until a drop hardens in cold water (240 F 190 C on a sugar thermometer) stir in baking soda, the toffee will imediately foam up as the vinegar releases the gas from the baking soda. Pour out onto a greased slab and while just cool enough to handle fold the edges toward the centre and pull repeatedly until the hole is a pale yellow colour. Allow to cool and harden in a greased tin and break into chunks with a toffee hammer or anything else that comes to hand...

*hugs*
    Cailin

It's great! It is fairly chewy though - maybe I didn't boil it long enough? Anyway, it tastes delicious and I've made a few batches to give to people. Thanks again, Netix.

Oo Cailin, that looks nice - I reckon it'd be a little more crunchy? I'm onto a good thing at the moment, but I'd be keen to give yours a try at some stage for sure. Yum.

I'm glad that it turned out relatively ok, or yummy at least. I am pretty sure that when honeycomb is exposed to air it goes soft (think of a broken violet crumble, it always seems to have soft ends), so maybe if it was coated in chocolate (yum) it would stay crispy longer? I didn't think of it the other day, how silly of me... My apologies.

I've kept all the batches in tupperware containers to stop the air from getting to them. It breaks really nicely, it's just that when you chew it, its more chewy than crunchy, KWIM? I'm really happy with it, tho

Ooh! I might have to make some of this tomorrow. It sounds yummy!