Thread: liquorice help please...

Default liquorice help please...

ok it's not cooking, recipes...but it is food..

I am making a 'poodle' cake this weekend and need to find liquorice sticks that are twisted, you know, the ones you can pull apart into 3 long thin pieces.
    Here's the problem...I've been to Coles, Woolies, DJ's and Darrell Lea and they all have the 'fake' twists - done by a machine. This way they only look twisted but you cant unwind them...
    Help, suggestions...??

Can u just slice up the stick thinly instead?

i use to have those @ school....hmmm i have no idea

Lulu, i've found a roll/strap of liquorice at my local coles. It was hidden on a lower shelf and looks like you've rolled up a belt (iykwim). The "strap" is made of about 5 lines/strands which are easy to trim apart with a small knife for decorating. HTH and good luck with your search! Maybe try a special lolly shop if you have one nearby?

Check a local milk bar, if you have one

thanks guys...Ruth - how funny - I actually bought exactly that today...
    sadly the twisty things will look so much better - but hey...can only use what I can find...

Hi Ruth
    was reading your question last month on folate. It would be a good idea to take extra iodine too as the lack of iodine is strongly related to birth defects. Apparently about 70% of the worlds population are deficient to some degree and it is extremely important for the babies development. Your pregnancy supplements should all have it included though and keep up with the fish too.