Thread: Pavlova

Amelia Guest

Red face Pavlova

Okay ladies I want to be adventuress, I am hopefully doing a family dinner not this Sunday but the following. I say hopefully cause my SIL was due last Saturday and still hasn't had any contractions or anything! But anyways, I am doing a roast pork with honey carrots, garlic brussel sprouts and all the normal roast vege's but I also want to do a pavlova from scratch. Not one of those ones you but in the egg shaped containers from the supermarket.

So please give me your recipes???? PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

TIA

Easy pavlova

Serving size: Serves 10 or more
    Cooking time: Less than 60 minutes

This is an all-in-one pavlova — very easy to make and never fails.

INGREDIENTS

2 eggwhites
    1 cups caster sugar
    1 teaspoon cornflour
    1 teaspoon vinegar and vanilla
    1/3 cup boiling water
    assorted fruit, such as strawberries, kiwi fruit, banana and passionfruit

METHOD

Line baking sheet with foil. Spray with non-stick spray and dust lightly with cornflour.

Preheat oven to 180C. Beat all ingredients together until stiff (approximately 15 minutes). Bake in moderate oven for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to slow and bake for 20 minutes longer.

When cold, decorate with whipped cream, topped with strawberries, kiwi fruit, banana and passionfruit.

My meruinge recipie is a bit simpler but maybe not as yummy...
    its 1 eggwhite :2 tbs caster sugar
    put all the egg whites in beat them for a while and add the sugar gradually - when each tablsepoon of eggwhites is no longer crystally you add the next one.
    Then add a tiny bit of vamilla and a tinier bit of vingar and beat a bit longer.
    Smear it over baking paper and bake in a low oven.

Top it with whatever takes your fancy.

And remember; DON'T OPEN THE OVEN TO HAVE A STICKY BEAK! Especially in the first 15-20 minutes. That is one of the things that causes a pav to crack. Instead, turn the oven off when done, and open the door slightly leaving pav to cool in the oven. Its not guaranteed, but it helps.

Here is mine: I make it nearly every week.........

Pavlova

a lemon
    4 egg whites
    Pinch of salt
    250g caster sugar
    2 teaspoons of cornflour
    1 teaspoon white vinegar
    2 drops vanilla extract
    300ml thickened cream, beaten till thick
    Fruit to decorate

1. Pre-heat the oven to about 200 `c
    2. Line a baking sheet with baking paper, and sprinkle a bit of water onto it
    3. Wipe out the bowl that you are going to beat the egg whites in with half a lemon
    4. Beat the egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks
    5. Gradually add the caster sugar until it goes all shiny
    6. Sprinkle over the cornflour and the vinegar and gently fold in
    7. Mound the whole lot onto the baking sheet, in a circle about the same size as a dinner plate
    8. Put it in the oven, and reduce the temp of the oven straight away to 150`c
    9. Cook for about an hour
    10. Turn the oven off but let the Pavolova stay in the oven to cool
    11. When it’s totally cold, remove from oven and turn onto a plate, and peel off the baking paper.
    12. On this soft side,smear with loads of whipped cream
    13. Decorate with fruit……………….

Amelia Guest

Okay thanks ladies. Another ? tho..... Are these fool proof or would I be best making one for DH before the day??

TIA

If I were you I would do a test run just for your self confidence.........(but I have never had a dud with my recipe....but it can vary on ovens........)

Amelia Guest

Thanks Lucy, I think I might do one specially for DH!!! We got a new oven the other week and haven't had a dud with anything but I don't want to risk it!!

And keep the yolks to make bernaise, mayonnaise or any other sauce Unlike whites though yolks can't be frozen. So next time you feel like a bit of home made mayonnaise freeze the whites for the next time you want to make pav

*hugs*
    Cailin

Also make sure your eggs are at room temperature for maximum volume when beating them up into peaks.