Thread: Recipe for Spuds? (confectionary)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Recipe for Spuds? (confectionary)

I used to get these all the time when I lived in Adelaide - they were so nice!!! Anyone have a recipe? I imagine they are just coconut, condensed milk and coca but I want to know the exact recipe if I can find one!!! We're all dying for it, us ex-south aussies in my family!!!

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I've never heard of them, can you buy them?
    If you can, i can have a look in the shops and send some to you

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Hi Kelly,

Well I so happen to be making a batch of these tomorrow....here's the recipe

500 grams Icing Sugar
    2 tsps Plain Flour
    250 grams Coconut
    4 tablespoons milk

Boil Milk, add dry ingredients, mix well...
    With dry hands, roll into balls and roll in cocoa...not sure how many it makes, it depends on how big you make them.
    If you find the mixture starts to dry out while making them, add a little water. Place in the fridge so they harden.

So very sweet, that they make your teeth ache but just mmmmmm.
    Last edited by MUMMY4LIFE; December 8th, 2006 at 11:18 PM.

Sounds interesting, I've never heard of them!

Aaaaaaaw yummo thanks so much!!!! I can't find them here anywhere!!!

Used to be in SA deli's and sweetshops
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

ps. are you sure its only 4TBS milk? How do you boil 4 TBS?
    Kelly xx

I'd say it just means bring 4 tbs milk to a boiling hot temp then add the milk to the dry ingredients. You can nuke the milk if you prefer...

4 tbs is approx 80 mls if that helps

*hugs*
    Cailin

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Thanks Cailin, that's right....4 table spoons, warm it through in the microwave. I know Kelly it doesn't sound like much, but it is so the dry ingredients are just combined.

I can remember buying them when i was in year 12 from the local 'hippy co-op'. They were yum, and i'm sure that i've seen them in Health Food Shops....

Actually now that i think about it, maybe the ones i was thinking of were something else called 'spuds' coz i don't remember them being that sweet. More 'health food' sweet IYKWIM

smiles4u Guest

Thumbs up

Oh, I haven't had these since I was a kid in the early 70's !!!

Wow, I still remember that wonderful sweet taste ... Thx so much ... Gonna be the 1st thing I make when I finish my diet (mmm, ... another 10kilo's to go) !!! ... Here I come spuds ... And yes, that's what we called them back then

I remember buying these when I was camping down at Portland I think. (Scout camp, kind of hard to remember exactly where it was, but it was cold!) I always thought they were just a coconut ice type mixture, rolled in cocoa and icing sugar.
    I loved them!

Default Hi There....

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    I used to get these all the time when I lived in Adelaide - they were so nice!!! Anyone have a recipe? I imagine they are just coconut, condensed milk and coca but I want to know the exact recipe if I can find one!!! We're all dying for it, us ex-south aussies in my family!!!
    From Adelaide here. You can still buy spuds at the Central Market for 0.30cents each. As per the recipe... i went looking for my mother-in-laws old cook book and found it for you. Enjoy!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------

Spuds Recipe:

6 oz dessicated coconut
    4 tablespoons[aus] sweetened condensed milk
    12 oz icing [confectioners'] sugar
    Recipe 2:
    250 g icing sugar
    200 g condensed milk
    150 g dessicated coconut

Mix together into a very stiff dough - flavour, colour and shape as desired. May be rolled in coconut, cocoa, grated chocolate, crushed nuts etc. Lay out to dry on an icing sugar dusted tray.

Wow I missed your update Fero, thankyou so much, I sooooo wanna make some now
    Kelly xx

I'm feeling nostalgic for spuds and frog cakes now. Yum.