Thread: Thawing Wedding Cake?

Default Thawing Wedding Cake?

Hi Ladies,

I posted this under Weddings etc. but it was suggested I post it in this part of the forum!!

It'll be my anniversary in July and I'm going to pull the top tier of my cake out of the freezer and have it at an anniversary "party" thing that we are thinking of having (assuming I won't be in hospital squeezing this kid out on our anniversary! Lol!!).

Just want to know how I would go about defrosting the cake? I have wrapped it tightly in foil and glad wrap because this is what I was told to do... I am just not sure how long it takes to thaw out..

I'm really looking forward to it because it's banana

Thank you in advance

I did this wth our wedding cake except it was mud cake. I just took it out of the freezer and put it in he fridge 2 days before we needed it and it was fine. I would expect 24hours would be a normal time but i guess it depends on the size of the cake. Even if it's defrosted for an extra day it wouldnt really matter - better than finding it frozen in the middle.

Hope you have a lovely anniversary - our 2nd one is coming up in a few days!

I'd agree with with MrsB26 has written. We just thawed ours in the fridge for 24 hours (unwrap it first and place on a place then cover loosely in clingwrap). Ours was a 25cm diameter mud cake. Mmm... yum...

Awesome, thanks ladies I can't wait to eat it!! The bottom tier of our cake was mud, the top tier banana... I decided to keep the entire top tier for Luke and I to have at the anniversary (which was received with many grumbles from Luke's dad and uncle!! haha).

Thanks again

DoubleK Guest

i was just told the other day that people keep there wedding cakes! i had no idea! a friend has hers in a display case - for 14 years?

im so untraditional.. id probably ask for a nice big english tea cake! or a mass of those cupcake tree thingys! lol

sorry to hijack your thread! i hope you enjoy your cake!!!

Rach - we had a cupcake tree with top 2 layers of fruit cake for the oldies!

So should I freeze my cake? ACK!

DoubleK Guest

wow a cupcake tree?!

how big was it? i was thinking i'd like a cupcake tree.. but have only seen ones that hold like 10 cupcakes

Emma - I was under the impression that only the fruit cake wedding cakes were able to freeze well, and be defrosted?

For your sake, I hope that I am wrong!!

I have had friends who froze flavours other than fruit, so I hope you're wrong too!

Luke wanted us to get a profiterole tower thing, I decided against it because I wouldn't have wanted to share

I had a mudcake but the top tier was fruitcake so I could freeze it. I thought you could only keep fruitcake too??
    Mine's in the freezer for a christening cake for our first baby anyway.

Emma I hope you get what you thought. I did the leave in fridge for 2 days thingy too, only to find that my much anticipated layer of fruit cake was some awful banana creation. It smelt absolutley horrendous lol. After that long it's hardly productive to complain to the cake people either.

Ok, I'm going to show you a pic of my cake, I was so proud of it I can't resist showing a pic...
    The bottom layer was chocolate, the top is banana... the outside looks like marzipan but it wasn't! It was really sweet and sugary!

What a cute cake!!!