Thread: Acid reflux/heartburn in older child?

Default Acid reflux/heartburn in older child?

I am wondering if it is possible for an older child to get these problems? Lindsay has been complaining lately that he has a sore spot in his tummy, but doesn't feel sick or has been sick, just this 'feeling' he says he gets. Also of late he has been passing some dreadful wind - seriously I reckon he would choke a person it smells that off. DH suffers from Acid Reflux and this is a sign for him too that it is playing up, along with the obvious physical feeling in his gut. I am going to get him seen by a Dr, but just wanted to ask first if it was possible.

mo3 Guest

Yes, it is possible.

reflux is not to be ignored either... no that you're doing that of course!! But maybe even your DH might just 'live with it'. This is a subject close to my heart, so please bare with me...

My dad died 4 yrs ago of Oesophageal cancer, the type they call "Barrett's disease" which is caused by the constant attack on the oesophagus by stomach acid.... ie reflux. It causes cell changes... eventually cancer. OKAY - a medico might read this and say that's pretty over-simplified and also possibly alarmist. I am only speaking, on a personal level, of my dad and that fact that he ignored his reflux all his life as just something he had to live with and ate 'Quickeze' all the time.

The rest of the family all suffer from reflux to varying degrees - and we're not ignoring it!!

Anyway, I'm glad you're looking into it. I'm not trying to say your DS will die of cancer - please don't think I am . I'M NOT!! But I suppose I want to highlight the fact that it's not one of those niggly things we have to just live with. We should never ignore it.... and I'm glad you're not.

Thanks Pip, yes DH does just live with it to an extent, but he knows what the triggers are for it (for him) and avoids them, but when his back is out, that triggers it too. I didn't think it was impossible for Lindsay to get it, but just curious as to the likelyhood.

Thanks so much for that Theresa. He hasn't complained about it in a while, if that's what it even is. It is so hard to tell if what they are feeling is reflux/indigestion.