Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girlie magazines for 14year old boy

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

My DS1 used to nick my DH's Stuff and Maxim magazines out of our walk-in wardrobe (a bit like Ralph and FHM) and we only found out much much later. My younger son doesn't seem to be the faintest bit interested atm, but I'm sure that will change soon.

I don't think I'd ever buy them anything like that, but I guess I do understand them wanting to have them. I think my boys would rather eat fish eyes than get me, their mum, to buy a mag like that for them, though! Lol!

Last edited by sushee; May 11th, 2009 at 10:50 AM.

PMSL @ fish eyes Sushee!! Joshua got caught with a mag at his dads...ahahaha... although he made a valid argument to me when I said something to him...basically he said his dad was being a hypocrite. I had to find a way to tell him that this is true to an extent...that adults do say some things aren't ok but we do them but it's more along the lines of it's only ok for adults. I also told him that I actually don't like that mags at all anyway. Poor kids sometimes must get confused by us!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Cass,

I completely agree. When we found DS's secret stash, we didn't make a big deal of it. I just remember he took all the ones with Pammie Anderson on the cover (OMG! LOLOL!) Couldn't really say he couldn't read them if his stepdad has them, so we just pretended it was all normal and everyday. I'm just thankful DH doesn't read anything 'heavier' than that, though!

ahahaha @ Pammi Anderson... must be a booby boy...pmsl...I wonder sometimes if they have this facination from BF cos in their subconscious it's a comfort?? I dunno, just speaking what popped in my head!

I wonder that too!

Some great point in here!
    I was just wondering if you could brief DH, give him your point of view and stress that it is important to you and ask him to have a true, honest and sensitive chat with DS about it and why he wants it.
    It would be preferable, if he's going to be looking at these pictures, if he has some sort of mediating factor, like realising that those girls serve a function and that girls in real life will not all be like that. Looking at them with his friends will happen, but it would be good if he was the boy who understands a bit more about it.
    It would depend on how comfortable DH and DP are with talking about these things and it would need to be done in a way that minimised the 'me dad is so old-fashioned' factor!
    I think it's awesome that DS can come to you about these things, though - I hope to have the same thing with Oscar when he's bigger. My secret goal is to have him be a great feminist! We'll see, all I can do is try

While working at a newsagency I was approched by a 10yo boy about to buy ZOO magazine, I personally didnt think it was appropriate but was told by other staff & mananger that it is allowed because the women in it are clothed (well bathing suited). I also know a few 14 - 15 yo boys who love it not just coz of the girls but apparently it has alot of over entertaining stories & articles etc.

I don't think it's appropriate for a 14 yo boy to buy Zoo...pity there isn't a male equivalent of Dolly....now that'd be a business venture to start!

You would think it would be a great market, but then, whydid they take Explode off the shelves?

I have a 14yo brother who has asked me to buy him Zoo (he's got CP,and in a wheelchair, so doesn't get out without mum or dad much) and you shoud've seen my face I just thought "ok, he just wants to read the articles, just read, thats all!"

I bought one, and flicked through it, and thought "ugh, what is this?". Most of the pictures of the woman are bad enough, but if you actually read the articles - they're poorly written, and completely stupid. Even some of their game reviews are smutty.

In that edition, it says on the cover "Big Brother exclusive! Jamie: 'I've blown $100,000 on booze!', and theres a picture of him inside sitting on a bench around beer bottles with a quote "I just want to get wasted and stuff", and it just makes you wonder about a magazine that thinks that's cool.
    Plus 6 pages dedicated to mobile phone and SMS chats and stuff like "Free Kinky Club" or "Free erotic videos"...

Needless to say, my bro didn't get that magazine!

I agree with other BB members, if his friends have those magazines then he's going to see it anyway, but if you buy it it's going to send the message that you agree/condone that kind of material.

I found that "Alpha" wasn't too bad, if your son is into sports.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12