Thread: Implanon for 16yo

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Implanon for 16yo

Hi guys,

I was going to hijack shuett's thread but decided on a different tack. My 15yo DD (turning 16 in a month) has become sexually active in the last week or so, and while she tells me that they used a condom, she wants to also be put on implanon, JIC.

Now I've read what everyone has said about implanon, but she's admitted to being unlikely to be responsible enough to remember to take the pill (yet she thinks she's old enough to have sex, but that's a whole different story) and has said that most of her friends are on implanon and can't see the problem.

Now I'm glad she told me that she's started being active, and so I don't want to isolate her by lecturing her, but after battling infertility myself, I would hate to think I'm setting her up for difficulties when she decides to have children herself in the future.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. We have a doctor's appt on Monday to discuss her options so I'm a little short on time as well!

love
    sushee

hey babe,

the implanon idea freaked me out so i was put on depo provera instead (the 3 monthly injection)

it was GREAT as i would forget my pills. I never got any bleeding, or af cramps etc and never got pregnant...surprise surprise.

the only thing that would be of concern is perhaps hindering fertility later in life but maybe in a few years she will be more responsible in remembering to take the pill?

i hope the doc helps you make up your mind and good luck

Sushee, I wanted to get Implanon and my GP recommended that I try Depo first because if that didn't agree with me, then neither would the Implanon. I'm glad I did the Depo because it disagreed with me horribly and I just went back on the pill.

Maybe Ariani could try that first and see how she goes? I think it is fantastic that she is able to come to you and talk about it openly with you and that she is doing everything right by being responsible. I hope i have that good a relationship with my girls when they are that age.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

I tried Implanon and had side effects for the entire six months it was in me. I'm not saying don't use it, just have it monitored closely by GP. Bleeding weird black oil looking stuff for most of the month did not make me feel very sexy, so i guess in a weird way, it was a kind of contraceptive, but not the sort you expect!

Sometimes, when things sound too good to be true - they are!

My sister tried the Implanon and it absolutely wreaked havoc with her emotions/hormones... she was a wreck and had to have it taken out after a couple of weeks/months (not sure how long she had it for, sorry!)

100% safe for three years - it sounds good on paper.

I had one in for two years and had a lot of trouble with bleeding and mood swings.

I'd say give it a try and if it doesn't work out they can take it out. I'd hate to be a teenager relying on condoms only.

Thank god I have at least 11 years to deal with this myself !!

*TamaraP* Guest

I got mine in when i was 20 and two years later got it taken out to start for a family.

I found that I put on at least 40kg with it, now I am also finding I have lack of energy, sex drive and my mood swings are still bad.

The Depo injection sounds good, but if you want her to go on the Pill then just remind her every night, make sure she has it at dinner time etc... that way you can monitor it.

I started the Pill when I was 14 as I had bad periods and I found even though I thought I would forget it, after the first month I became more confident in remembering...

I'm with Tamara on this one. I remembered to take it - I set an alarm on my phone that went off and I took it at that time so I wasn't relying on my own 'brain' to remember it all the time.

I don't know details about the implant but I do know a few people who have had it and have had no problems conceiving once they are off!

Very hard and very scary - now I know how my mother felt when I was 16 hehe...

I'm sure the Doctor will have some great advice for you both as well.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Hi Sushee, congratulations on having such a relationship with your teenage daughter that you are aware that she is now sexually active. A really big deal I think. I would recommend that she does try the mini pill, and actually see if she has a memory problem - I bet now that Charlie is in the house she has a good reminder IYKWIM. That way her hormones are "mucked" around too much. Also educate her about her cycle, so that if she does forget the pill she can ascertain her "risk" and possibly opt for the morning after pill and/or know when to abstain as a double precaution. Plus once the girls go on the pill/contraception I get the sense that the boys are let off the hook and condoms not thought of. Condoms still remain very important in terms of STDs etc.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

My family dr was absolutely against Ariani having an Implanon implant as he's recently had to remove many from young girls who've had constant bleeding on it. Ariani has decided to try the pill after all, and also now carries her own supply of condoms in her little backpack. Aside from STDs, she's a litte put off babies seeing what a zombie I've become in the last three weeks from lack of sleep, and is also seeing first hand how difficult having a baby is! Just as you said, Sheree!

I can only hope now that she remembers to take the pill and uses those bloody condoms! DH keeps joking that at least at 36, I'll be a hot grandmother! OMG I should hope not! Lol!

love
    sushee

Thumbs up Congrats!

Oh No - trust DH to make a joke like that!!!!

Does she have a mobile phone? See if it has an option for a permanent alarm just to prompt her memory - after awhile I found that I remembered regardless but it might help establish a routine.

Glad to see you had a good chat with your family doctor as well - I know that my family doctor is excellent.

And like Sheree said - HUGE pat on the back that you have such a great relationship with your daughter that you can sit down and talk about this stuff with! Huge thumbs up!!

that_girl Guest

What I have found is that putting all my tabelts (pill, mutli vit , anit depressent etc) in a pill box that older people use and leave it in the bathroom or somewhere were both Mum and I visit everymorning. For me I put it in the med/breakfast glasses shelf so if I do happen to forget Mum can remind me and she can keep track of if Im taking them etc. So far I have not missed a day.

Im glad that your daughter got discouraged from the implant, I have onyl heard of bad stories from it and have had friends with constant bleeding, vomiting etc the whole time they were on it.

Your so lucky to have that kind of relationship with your daughter, I told my Mum that I was "doing the deed" in the frozen food section of Wollworths just so she couldnt go crazy as I was so unsure of what her reaction would be. Lucky our relationship has come leaps and bounds since then.

CatherineL Guest

I am so glad she went for the pill... I had the 3 month injection twice, and i didn't stop bleeding the whole time and after the injections i didn't get my periods for close to two years - my doctor offered me hormone injections to help things along again. It did wreck havoc with my emotions also and even felt sick.

But obviously it's each to their own and some may be extremely happy with the method of birth control.