Thread: party help needed

mooshie Guest

Default party help needed

hi there

well i need some bb expertise here, i want some suggestion's for a boy's 7th birthday party. there will be around 15 or so children ranging in age from 6 to 9 and all boys . okay don't want to do a party at home
    rule out playcentres also
    rule out places like mcdonalds and such
    and no mini golf (we did that last time)

my ds gets a party with friends every 2 years so i like to make it special and something fun.

okay need all suggestions please

thanks

Weve had a pool party at the pool when Olivia was 7. Lots of parents came and joined in..not sure if they do them at your local Pool? Skating rink maybe?? Though I think that age might be a bit too young? Ten pin bowling? I must admit I still prefer home parties at that age with a bouncy castle to keep them occupied.

Goodluck!

Jo

We don't really have any options like that where we live. It's either at home or at the park, which is what we usually do. The park has a huge shaded undercover playground, and the kids just play on that. There is a couple of BBQ's if we want to cook something as well and power so we can play music.

Sorry can't offer much more advice than that. Last year we were going to take DD and up to 4 friends, as that would be the max amount of kids we could fit in the car with 2 parents, to the next town over for mcdonalds and a movie. But it didn't line up with DH's days off and there was no way I was making the trip by myself with a car full of girls LOL.

Nic

Both my DDs have had Bowling parties for their 7th birthdays and loved them. The indoor sports centre near us does parties too, try somewhere like that maybe. Movie parties are becoming more popular- a lot of cinema complexes do them. Sydney's child (or your equivalent) often have suggestions for parties too.

I used to work at our local council pool and I agree with Jo. The local pool is a great idea and quite cheap. They usually have BBQ's and the parents can stay if they like. Ask them to bring their own meat (if you dont want to put it on) and it is a great way for the parents to get to know each other. We can provide the bread rolls, drinks or the salads or something .....

kerry Guest

You could go to a park and have a scavenger hunt. This takes bit of organising, someone has to go there early to set up the clues. The boys can be broken into teams and with each team getting a colour and they have to find the clues to get to the next point, but make the clues in a different order for each team.

Outdoor playgrounds are good because you have the options for a lot of ball sports too.... or even make some newspaper kites and have them fly them. A lot of $2 shops have kite string and holders cheap and then you just save old newspapers, pre make the cross sections with some cheap thing garden stakes and get the boys to finish the frames off with the news print... old shopping bags make good ribbons for the tales, and its re-cycling...then they can fly their kites in the park. Instead of lolly bags they get a kite to take home.

Again at a park you could do his party as a mini olympics... set up a little race track and have egg and spoon races, or an obsticle course, you could have a long jump... then with little bags filled with sand and a target painted on an old sheet they could toss them to see who gets the closest. You could even make limbo and event... and you could have made little medals for each event.

Not a play centre as such, but what about somewhere that has video games - Timezone, Intencity, that sort of thing.

A friend of mine did a survivor themed party for her 10 yr old. They had team challenges and various outdoor activities- no one got voted out though LOL.

How about Skirmish or laser tag? Or a video palour? cinema? go karts?
    some of these might need altering to suit age

Good luck

The boys in my year one class are all madly into Scalectrix parties at a local slot car place.

Ooh I like all these ideas.

skating parties, movie parties, even a bike riding party at the local park are good at this age cause they all usually have a bike and love to ride them.

good luck finding the right idea

mooshie Guest

thanks everyone

i would love to have a party at home but we do that anyway - yes we have two parties one is a family one at home which equals around 20 adults and 15 children, i try not to have this but if i don't everyone turns up the weekend of the birthday anyway and catches me unawares and as i said every 2nd year we have another party with their friends.

actually sarah we were thinking of a time zone party they are doing laser tag there to (hopefully open by his birthday) they don't supply food but do supply a party room so i thought i could grab a whole heap of kfc and do sandwich platters etc.

love the movie party - but don't think any suitable films would be on (it will be may) and the suitable kids films usually come out during school holidays.

i find the parties which would require a few adults to supervise (such as pool parties) won't work cause i know that most of the children there probably won't be their with parents - so to much of a responsibility for just a few adults with 15 crazy loveable boys.

go-cart is another thing i may look at, however it is quite a drive (maybe 1/2 hour) from where we live, do you think parents would be willing to drive that far?

thanks again - keep em coming - heaps of great ideas.

I agree with you on the pool party- too stressful and too much responsibility, I don't even like going to pools with my class.
    If its in May there may be some kids movies that come out in the April hols that are still around but all the kids could have already seen them. My oldest DD is Nov. so we could never do movie parties for her as a child either for that reason.
    What about in a hall or park and hiring someone- like a reptile guy or a magician?

Or a clown maybe????? We had a clown once who did the little balloons and face painting. The kids liked it.

Jo

My brother's friend is a clown and we had him once, it was great. He did fabulous tricks and balloon animals etc. My DD was turning 4 and I think she was too young to fully appreciate it.

kerry Guest

Just remembered... X-SS went to a b'day last year at the local 10 pin bowling... he had a brilliant time..and I quote "That was the bestest party ever, more for big boys that kidz digz (indoor play centre)"... it was a 7th birthday and x-SS was 8 at the time.

yep I like the bowling party idea too