Thread: Starting prep, am i being crazy?

Default Starting prep, am i being crazy?

I'm looking forward to Ashlea starting school in 2 days, and so is she, apart from any parents feelings of being sad and upset that their little children are starting school etc but now i'm starting to have all these irrational thoughts....

Like, at day care every thing is opened and supervised ALL the time. My biggest concern is that with all the bull$hit and horrible things happening these days, i wonder how you can protect your child when they are at school, like when the kids go to the toilet on their own, whats stopping something happening to them in there? With all the horror stories you hear about public toilets of late, i worry so much about this.

At daycare you can't get in except through thr front entrance and you have to go through the office to get there, at school you can walk in without anyone noticing. Whats stopping any strangers walking into the school?

I don't know if i'm just being silly or if anyone else feels like this?? I'm so cautious with Ashlea about never letting her be in a place where something bad could happen to her, I even freaked out over a sleep over at a friends house and cancelled it the other week cause i couldn't stop thinking 'what if something happened and i let her go'

I don't think they are irrational thoughts, I think like that all the time. Most prep set ups will be similar to preschool which means parents will still have to sign in their kids and the toilets are attached to the pre-school prep building. No other students or staff should be able to access these and students are generally able to be supervised (not watched)

I guess we just have to let them go no matter how much we worry and just hope nothing goes wrong

You are not being crazy!!
    If it is anything like what I have seen with Preps, they have to go to the toilet in pairs..never alone!
    Our Prep teacher always makes sure that if it at recess or lunch, a big kid(buddy) is always there as well.
    As for ppl walking in off the streets, then there should always be someone around that can see all entrances to the school.

Don't worry your baby will be ok, she has already been to orientation and knows what to do.

mooshie Guest

omg you are so not crazy. my ds started preps last year and i was worried he would just walk home during the day lol. the toilet issue was another thing, but they have to take a classmate with them when they leave the classroom. our school also has an "imaginery" line at the fences and omg it is amazing the kids know that they just can't go over that line until it is home time. i was worried when it rained at lunchtime that ds would be out there running around in it (and he was and he had fun lol) i basically worried all year lol, that is what mums do.

i have knew worries this year as he is entering grade 1, he only know's one child in his class, he feels a bit sad but has an awesome teacher.

a few weeks before our ds started prep, we went down to the school together and looked at where the toilets were, the taps, the classroom etc etc.

our school also has a buddy system - which is brilliant

try not to worry, your dd will be fine it is a whole new world out there for them and you, before you know it they will be going into high school.

No Dee, you are not being crazy!! I feel the same way. Kayla is starting school on Thursday and I have been sick over it. I just don't want her to go, my DH thinks I'm being silly but thats easy for him to say as his eldest has been at school for 6 years.
    Kayla's my first baby and it is going to be hard to let her go, but I know I have to let her grow up and enjoy this time as she only really starts school once.

Raven

Dee - talk to the teachers about your fears - they may think you are crazy, but at least you will get answers. Just ask how they prevent strangers from walking in, how do they keep kids safe when going to the toilet, if Ashlea just started walking home by herself would they let her? Do they know about your situation with your ex and whether he is allowed to pick her up etc. If the teacher is no help (I'd be surprised) talk to the principal. Knowledge is power! and if there is a hole in the way they do things, you might bring it to their attention. I KNOW you are not the only prep mum who will do this!!

Don't worry teachers are just as stressed about losing a child etc as you are LOL. Our kindy (prep) teachers stay with the kids at recess for the 1st few weeks and there are always teachers on duty so no one can enter the school without someone seeing. We send all children to the toilet in pairs (my Yr 6s used to tease me about not letting them go by themselves LOL) At all schools I have taught at the big kids look out for the little ones and there are usually so many willing "dobbers" around that no child would get near the gate to run away without the teacher knowing!

How true Mrsmac!!! When I was a teacher's assistant I was more worried about the children under my care than my own some days (even though i also had a DD starting school). Children are highly observant, sometimes more so than adults, and certainly would notice if another child was doing something out of the ordinary or if a "stranger" was in their midst. If you have ongoing concerns though how about becoming a parent volunteer so that you can witness first hand how things are run. I'm sure there will be a need for parents to help with reading sessions for example. Once you see how things work I'm sure you will feel more at ease.