Thread: At what age did you child run their own bath?

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Default At what age did you child run their own bath?

just wondering

am trying to help my stepchild gain some independence but it's hard to know sometimes what is appropriate for her age, don't want to baby her, but don't want to be too hard on her either.

My DD is nearly 9 and she still doesn't do it. I suppose I could probably teach her to (she tends to have shower more than baths) but it hadn't crossed my mind. She adjusts the temp herself it the water gets a bit funny and cools or heats up when she's in there and she turns the water off and gets out by herself but I still put the shower on for her.

Maddison will turn the cold taps on as I am walking down the hallway to turn the tap on, she never turns on the hot tap...
    I then turn hot on to the temp I think & she will put her hand under & say if it's Ok for her, then I leave it to fill while she gets her clothes or PJ's...
    Then she will yell out that it's full enough & will turn hot tap off, then cold & if it's too hot she will add some cold...
    I think burns are just way too dangerous & so I prefer to do it... But I let her peel veggies & help me prepare dinner etc, including using a plastic knife to cut some stuff! (Unfortunately it's just easier for me to do mst stuff myself!)

*I might also have to let her do more!!!

Wow, I think I am babying my baby, lol.
    She'll be 10 in Sept and I never let her turn on the shower. I have a friend that lets her daughter do everything, but I am just too scared. My godmothers other goddaughter was put in a bath when she was a little girl that was only hot water (accidentally of course) and I remember the scars on her feet. Thats probably made me a bit paranoid.

Stormi Guest

I remember being like 10 or 11 and my mum still running baths for me! I can't remember if it was because she wouldn't let me do it or I wanted her to do it LOL.

My 7 year old doesn't run his own bath. I run his shower for him if he has a shower and he's been taught how to turn that off by himself. With the bath though, he has a 4 year old brother and I never know who is going to want a bath first so I just run it and then tell them to decide who's going first.

I guess the best way is too let them run their own bath but either supervise them or come in and check the temp before they get in it. My 7 year old has been known to sneak into the bath if I start running it then go to get their pyjamas or something and I come back in and he's in it. He got in trouble for doing that as he never checks the temp with his hand, he just gets in and I said to him "How did you know that wasn't just HOT water in there?" (It wasn't, we have mixer taps).

Em or Jess will run the bath (almost 10 and 12) but only Jess runs her own shower. I still check the bath though before they get in it and theyve been taught to run the cold tap first..sometimes too well as sometimes they have run a freezing bath!

Jo

tiggy Guest

My twins who are ten in nine days are allowed to run the bath and shower now but only after several attempts with me watching.

My 8 year old DD has been running her own bath from about the age of 6 (after I showed her how to check the temp). She usually has showers now, turns it on, and gets herself in and out by herself and has done so for over a year. I made sure she knew how to check the temp in the shower before hopping in too. I can always tell she's fine too - by the really loud singing! Cute! And I can get on with preparing dinner.