Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to young for periods

kath Guest

Default to young for periods

Hello hello is there any one that can help!!!!! 3 years ago my then 8 year old had her first period and my god didnt we all know about it and was the worst xmas day in history. Every day since that faitfull one is painful you never can tell what mood she will be in its like walking on egg shells. The attitude that come from her mouth the dirty looks she has absolutly no respect for myself her stepfather or her step sisters oh sorry let me say it again unless you have somthing to give her somthing she wants to do she has no respect if she wants somthing she will kiss butt time she get it and beleive she can be pretty good. when we have family day out if it is not what she want to do she will make life unbearable for everyone else. On a good day she might look at you when you speak to her others she turns and walks away.

I know you might be saying how horrible and i should have more compasion beleive i have heard it all before and yes i do agree it is horrible and it should'nt be happening but it is so what i say is get use to it you are a female and this was going to happen sooner or later. I know it sounds harsh but its a war zone around here im in tears daily i just cant beleive my little baby my baby is going thru this so young.

if there is anyone that can give me adivce on how to handle this or if they to are going thru the same thing. i so deperatly want for here and i to be close i dont want to lose her i feel her slipping away i need some advice and help.

love and hugs
    kath ](*,)

Wow Kath, she was really young. I'm not surprised she's upset ... that's a lot for a little girl to go through. Hard on you too to have to watch it. I got my first period at 12 but the hormonal changes seemed to start two years before that from what I remember. It's a difficult time when you are still just a kid really.

I'm sorry I can't be of much use with advice. Have you had a chat with your GP about your worries? Maybe they can help.

Mel

Hi Kath... IKWYM... I know when My dd had her period. I can now read her like a book. She got hers really young too... can't remember how old now.. :-k

Anyway... an upside to going through all these changes at such an early age is that by the time they hit High school the changes have settled and they don't go through it when they have all the other influences around them.

But having said if you are worried go to see a doctor. I know of a woman who got hers very young and she was put on medication to suppress it for a couple of years.

HTH's
    Tanya

Wanna_B_Mum Guest

Post Sorry i maybe a bit late to reply....

i got my periods a week after my eight th b'day i'm 17 and i havn't had any probs.

Saige's Mum Guest

Hi

I got my period on my 9th birthday. I feel like I didn't have a childhood. I treated my parents like crap and was out of control. When I was about 17 I woke up to myself and feel terrible for everything I put my parents through. I know that doesn't help you now but I'm sure things will get better

Kath, I developed really really early, by the time I was 8-9, I had 12c bra size. I had all physical changes barr 1, i didnt actually get my period till I was 16!!
    All the girls at school used to gang up on me and abuse the crap out of me when I was 12 saying that I already had my periods, and was lying just because I was more developed than them. Even to the point of holding me against a brick wall, and stretching my shirt back so they could all see how big my bust was.....I always felt so dirty, and abnormal, and a freak.
    Years later, I found out I always had PCOS, and that was the explanation.
    It can be so hard going through hormonal changes so young, especially when your friends arent, and you have noone to talk to, or noone wants to listen to you, or believes you.
    I would suggest maybe looking at a counsellor for her, as she has probably got some issues that she just cant get out with anyone.

tiggy Guest

I got my period when I was 9 and so did my eldest of the first set of twins,
    Itwas shocking for me and for my mum, who was not quite ready for it and didn't know what to do.
    With my daughter, it was my DH who wasn't ready.
    She is alot different than my other girls, definately more moody.
    It must be such a confusing time for her and for you.

Wow. I was 16 when I got mine....then again I have pcos and was very athletic.
    Kath - it must be pretty hard for you both.....on the bright side, at least she hasn't just had a baby - I read about an 8 year old girl in 'The Age' last week who gave birth, she was from the Amazon rainforest....poor darling.
    All the best.

That's a great idea Fletch, a naturopath could do wonders for her!!

I got my first period at the age of 8. I used to have horrible pain/mood swings etc. When I was 13 mum dragged me off to the gyno who put me on the pill for hormone regulation. I started on the pill when I was 14 and was on the pill until I was 34 when DH and I started going out and I didn't need contraception anymore. Since I've gone off the pill my pain/hormones have started to get worse so I may have to go back on the pill for the hormone regulation until we start ttc.

I got mine when I was nine, I honestly thought I was going to die. I had no idea what was going on. I had a beastly time of it until I went on the pill at age 20. Turns out I had a hormone imbalance which caused heaps of problems.

What I regret most is that my Mum wasn't able to sit me down and talk about it. I think that's the best thing you can do. Reassure her that it is "normal" even if it is early, and explain about hygiene etc. The mood swings I can't suggest much about, but I agree about the naturopath, they might be able to help.

Best wishes.

I got mine at age 9 too. The worst part was my mum who hadn't explained anything before hand.

It was a huge shock to my system and I guess my mum didn't know what to do.

My best advice would be to do the birds and bees talk with your girls about age 8. Even if you jsut cover the basics. Then it wont be so hurtful for them when it happens.

I didn't mean to be a horrible child, but with being the only one out of my friends going through this, it was really hard. and i guess the hormones too

i guess im the lucky one... i got mine around 15. and i thought thas bad! My lil sis got them at 10, but she developed early. I didnt get boobs til i had kids at 19!

WOW I thought it was pretty uncommon to get them that early but a few of you have also got them pretty young. I was almost 15 before I got mine. I can remember wishing for bigger boobs but bot by getting my period! LOL.
    I remember the day I got AF the first time. Last period of school & I just new I needed to go to the toilets. So off I went & not only did I have nothing in my bag for AF, the bloody toilet I went into had NO TOILET PAPER!! I managed to swap to one which did without to much mess, not that I could have made more. When i got home my mum wasn't home & I was lucky that I had a free pad that was in a magazine I had bought at some point still in my draw. I threw the undies I was wearing in the bin & just balled my eyes out when mum got home. The first thing I said was DON"T TELL GRANDMA! I didn't want everyone to know & knew she would be teh first person mum would tell. I didn't actually get another AF till about 3 months later I think which was a bit of a pain cuz I had marked up my little diary with all the dates I would get it thinking it was like clockwork & every 28 days it would turn up. Mum use to tell me when she had hers & askif I did too & that if i let her know when I get them she would keep track & let me know when I was due next, asked if I wanted to know how to use tampons. I was so freaked out by it that I fdreaded moments alone with her in case the topic of pads & tampons was brought up. I would avoid the shopping isle that had pads etc so she wouldn't ask if I needed any infront of other people. I think mum went a bit over board with the whole mother daughter thing because she missed out on doing it with my 2 older sisters for verious reasons.

I think having a chat with your DD about going & seeing the GP about medications to help with the pain etc. I wouldn't word so that she thinks she needs medication for her moods or because she got them so early. I think she would only rebel on the idea. But if she thinks its just something to help settle the pains that come with it each month she may be more open to the idea.

Good luck with it.

kerry Guest

I got mine at 9. I was lucky after getting my first bra (10C) at 8 my mum had given me everywoman to read (advanced reader and easier for mum to do than talk to me) so I knew exactly what was going on. My second period co-incided with a swimming competition and my mum sent me to the milk bar to buy my own tampons! That was pretty embarassing as they were too high for me to reach and I had to get the man at the milk bar to get them for me... then spend a few hours working out how to use them on my own. My sisters lucked out... 14 and 16 for theirs.
    I had (still do) bad pain and depression with my witch. As a kid I took evening primrose oil and it seemed to help with the mood swings. I would agree the councellor angle may be worth while but definately a natropath... bach flowers and many other herbal remidies are absolute godsends.
    I remember feeling really isolated from my peers and that I was different or even abnormal which wouldn't have helped with the moods.
    Yes its just part of the joys of being a woman but think about home bad PMT can be and how you have no control of it as a adult then imagine a little girl of 8 struggling with raging hormones, at least teenagers have some conciousness and comprehension of what is happening where as your DD is still a little girl. That said she has no right to be treating you all so badly.
    Hugs for you and your DD.

Wow, I'm shocked that so many of you got them before you even reached double digits! I look at my DD who turned 7, 2 days ago and hope that it will be quite a few years before she has to go through any of this.
    I got mine when I was 12. I was absolutely terrified.

Kath - How are things now with your DD?

Nic

Wow...it must have been so hard for you all. I was 12. Jess is 121/2 now and still no sign...im sure it wont be long now..the longer the better though i think. Ive had a talk with all my girls. Id hate for them to be freaked out like i was and not feel comfortable coming to me about such natural things.

Jo

Look at natural remedies for balancing hormones, but do talk to your gyno (a general GP won't know as much), even take her along to a family planning clinic and get her to talk to one of the nurses there, find out about what alternative therapies you could try with her. I decided against going back on the pill, but now regularly have acupuncture and use homoeopathic remedies.

Yes having them young is a pain in the tush, getting breasts when you're only in grade 5 is horrible, but it is something that you just learn to deal with! And comes in handy when you don't want to do sport at school (especially swimming), and it is priceless when you say to a male teacher "Sir I can't do hurdles coz I've got my period and I'm wearing a pad", the look on his face is worth it even if it isn't true

Good luck with it all and I hope you find a happy medium between the hormonal cow from hell and the daughter she should be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast