Thread: Delayed cord clamping and sintocin inj

Question Delayed cord clamping and sintocin inj

I am in the throes of making my birth intentions and am wondering if it is possible to have both things??? I want to delay the cord clamping till the cord has ceased pulsating but I will probably accept the sintocin (?) injection that they offer for the third stage. Any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance,
    Sazz

My obs said that you could have both - infact i think you can have the injection before and still wait for cord clamping (?), but i might have misunderstood him (was more upset about my impending induction at the time), but it was def. that you could have both things.

I opted for both, and i know he waited to clamp the cord because i remember him saying "it's stopped pulsating", but i don't remember feeling an injection, so i plan to ask him in a few weeks if he did do it?

Hope that helps.

If your baby has any concerns (Pip was stunned cause it was a quick birth?) they won't allow the full pulsating to occur. At least that's my experience.

I argued the injection but lost that cause of the stitches I needed. Plus my legs gave way and I couldn't stand any longer

I had both. My partner told me that the cord was no longer pulsating when she cut it. I had initially wanted no Syntocinin, but had agreed to have it if necessary. My partner told me that she heard the obs say to the midwife that I was losing too much blood from my tears and he wanted to stitch me up ASAP, so the midwife told me that she wanted to give me the inj and I agreed.

It's worth noting that syntocinon only stops blood loss from the uterus by causing it to contract. giving it to stop you bleeding from tears is ineffective.

Well said Schmickers. Syntocinon helps to control bleeding by causing your uterus to contract. It has no effect on bleeding from tears. Syntocinon works within a few minutes of it being given (a few seconds if given into a vein). So why not wait and see if you need it first. Just remember, until the cord is clamped your baby is still receiving nutrients (and drugs if you have any) from you so I suggest that you do a little more research on this subject. Personally I think that giving syntocinon routinely is like taking a panadol tonight just in case you are going to get a headache in the morning

CatherineL Guest

My hospitals policy was to wait until the cord stopped pulsating because they said there was research done and it showed that clamping the cord early bub could miss up to 200mls of blood... which is alot for something so small! It was something like that they told us anyway... and I had the synto shot for the placenta, they still had to tugg on it... I was happy with it all

Thanks everyone!
    I had read somewhere that if given the inj. it could cause the blood to be pumped into the baby too fast because of the fast/strong contractions??? That is the main reason I was wondering as I obviously wouldnt want that, or the baby to miss out on the vital blood either.
    Alan, I am intending to not take any drugs if at all possible for that very reason but good point! What about gas? does that still pass through the placenta? Do they wait for the pulsing to stop before giving the inj as I only want it if required and not just jabbed into me when the baby emerges without waiting to see if it is needed.

Hi Sazz
    Usually they will give you the syntocinon as the babies head is being born. You could, and have every right to insist that you are not given the injection of syntocinon unless there is a medical emergency.
    The gas does cross the placenta, however the gas is out of your system ver quickly. In fact when you stop breathing the gas it is out of your body and therfore not having any efect on you or your baby within a couple of minutes or so.

Do you get it in the leg??

I don't remember feeling getting it at all...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep they do it in your leg.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

did you see them give it to me Kelly?

I thought i would have felt it, i felt the other injections i got.

Yael
    In most cases they do give it to you in your leg but most women do not remember it happening as they usually have other things on their mind. (They gie the injection as you are pushing the baby out)

I've only ever had the injection after the baby was born & the midwife always told me she was going to give it to me & asked my permission 1st! Maybe i just got lucky & had good midwives.
    I always just assumed u had to have that injection.It helps u to release the placenta right??

CatherineL Guest

I had mine after the baby was out because I remember requesting it.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've never had a normal physiological childbirth but I am hoping for one next time That would be awesome. Last birth they broke my waters @ 9cm and then as soon as Elijah was born, they jabbed me without even asking! I was so mad later - as if you are going to arc up when the baby has just been put in your arms. I guess they know that.

Yael - I can't remember - I am pretty sure there was very little blood so maybe he didn't do it? You would have to ask him I think!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Default clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Schmickers View Post
    It's worth noting that syntocinon only stops blood loss from the uterus by causing it to contract. giving it to stop you bleeding from tears is ineffective.
    What I meant in my previous post was that my obs wanted to have the placenta birthed so that he could stitch up my tears. I guess you can't stitch tears till the placenta has been birthed (I had requested that they wait to see if the placenta would be birthed naturally).