Thread: how long is the cord?

Default how long is the cord?

I just read a post which got me wondering how long the cord is and is it possible for a woman to cut it herself?

On average, at birth, the umbilical cord is roughly as long as the baby, 50-60 cm, but it can vary between 12 and 152 cm.
    Boys cords are apparently longer then girls which I found interesting when I read it.

It's long enough to allow baby to be placed on mum's chest straight away before the placenta is delivered, so I'd say mum cutting the cord is possible. Not sure if I'd like the sensation of cutting through it.. DH can have that lovely job

To be honest I never looked at the cord or placenta, I just wasn't interested in it by then (better things to look at!!)

As Ivana-baby said it's long enough for the baby to sit on your chest with it still attached... my dh cut ours while Dylan was lying on my chest.

I heard that too about boys... kinda freaks me out a little as I'm worried about the cord around seth's neck (but I know thats nothing to be afraid of)!

I know that I want to wait for the cord to stop pulsating before cutting the cord, but the more I think about it I'd actually prefer the placenta to be delivered before actually cutting the cord...

What a great question Chloe

*hugs*
    Cailin

Some cords are longer and some are shorter than others, I find when delivering a baby it depends on the positon the mother is in, most times the mother can cut it if she wants but if you birth on your hands and knees and you have a short cord it makes it hard to pass the baby through the mothers legs for the cord to be cut. I think the best thing to do is to wait until the baby is born, you can put in your birth plan that you want to cut the cord if able to at the time
    Good luck

Default jess

the cord for my 3rd (son) was really short i couldn't lift him onto my chest because it pulled. we had to wait for cord to stop pulsating then cut it so i could birth placenta. an cuddle him

Quote Originally Posted by dachlostar View Post
    I just read a post which got me wondering how long the cord is and is it possible for a woman to cut it herself?
    My dd3 had a really short cord. She was born very quickly while I was on my hands and knees when no-one was expecting it, and we've often joked that she "bungee jumped" because if the midwife hadn't rushed to grab her, she'd have had trouble reaching the bed!

Length just depends, no way of knowing until the baby comes out

But the mother can certainly cut it herself, I've had a couple of clients do it.