Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did your third stage take?

Default How long did your third stage take?

I'm thinking of having a natural third stage and delayed clamping this time I lost 600ml last time
    Either that or delaying the cord clamping and then getting the synto shot after cord stops pulsing and is clamped

I assume the cord doesn't have to be clamped at all until the placenta comes out assuming the baby is healthy

How long did it take for your placenta to come out?

Does it help with bf at all?

What was your experience?
    Last edited by jellybean88; January 24th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Default Re: How long did your third stage take?

I had a natural third stage. Took 19 minutes. I've heard a lot if people say that the contractions to deliver the placenta were horrible but I found I barely felt anything. Thought I may have felt some tightening so gave a bit of a push it out it came. Not sure if it helped with bf at all, but we didn't have any real issues aside from it being a steep learning curve.

Default Re: How long did your third stage take?

I can't actually remember how long my physiological third stage took. Not long and not much blood loss either. It was a bit of a non event actually.

My third stage was 1 hour and 20 mins. I had horrible pains, worse than labour. It was my third though and apparently in gets worse each time.

Not long for any of my three births. The stupid Ob gave me synto before I realised what was happening with DS1, so placenta was out pretty quick but minimal fuss. With DS2 and DS3 I had physiological third stages and while I can't recall the exact details the placentas were out not long after the births and again with minimal discomfort and/or fuss. As Traveller said, a "non-event" all three times for me too.
    ETA: Re bfing - DS1 didn't really take straight to the breast but DS2 and DS3 did. Can't say my experience was different with any of them. HTH.

My 3rd stage took more than 4 hours. Bub breastfed but it didn't really change things.

I still preferred this to the managed 3rd stage with prodding and pulling.

It was physiological and 58 minutes. Was nothing to report, no pains, no discomfort, nothing. Finally coming out it did hurt more than I expected but I assume that was due to tearing.

So what do I ask the midwives and ob to do to help do I just ask to be left alone because they no doubt will be practically dancing on the sidelines trying to intervene

Also any tips for the first breastfeed?

That was a slight problem for us too. Dr was trying his best to jab me with syntocin and pull and yank at the cord. Midwife just pointed out what was in our birth plan. We had the birth plan pretty solidly written that explained what we wanted.

Cant help with the first BF, my DD took months to work out what a boob was

6hrs. I had an active third stage and PPH of 1500mls. My 3rd stage ended with a manual removal in theatre.

About 15 minutes with a physiological 3rd stage. I didn't notice any contractions, I was too busy focussing on bub. The obs told me to give a little cough, and out it came - the cough was pretty painful, but I had some significant tearing. I did it to help promote breastfeeding/bonding/hormones etc.

I also let bub do the breast crawl, which wasn't until I had been stitched up, which too another 30 minutes or so. Then I was released from the stirrups and could sit up a little further, and DS soon started to make his way to my boob and attached himself. We did a breast crawl/baby-led attachment the first 4 or 5 times he fed, and he was a beautiful latcher, right from the start. Who knows if he would have been anyway, but it certainly didn't so any harm!

First one we got to about 20 min and my loss was on the heavy side so we went for synto jab.

Second it took 50 minutes or so.

Mine was really quick! I stood up about 20 mins after birth and plop out it came into a bag that the Ambo's had put on the floor for me. No contractions no pain no worries!
    Btw- I had a spontaneous unplanned speedy home birth.

I have had physiological third stage for all 4 of my births... Pretty much a 'non event' every time. After pains have been pretty awful the last two but not until AFTER third stage. #1, 2 & 4 were really quite quick like within 15-20mins im pretty sure. #3 was longer but likely because I'd had a precipitous birth and she wouldn't stop screaming her head off to bf for the first half hour, once I managed to get her to settle and attach for a few mins I went to the loo and gave a little push and it was all over, about 45mins all up. As for bf etc I'd say same as any birth... Get baby attached asap, preferably within half an hour of birth and skin to skin. Keep in mind that you can feed laying down (eg getting stitches) just that closeness and stimulation for you and baby is great for hormones and bonding. The strong desire you have to try again is a real positive start

Be clear and be firm that you want a physiological third stage. Make sure your birth partner is completely on the same page as you and reiterates it to the midwife/Ob as needed. Write it up into your birth plan. Discuss it prior to the birth with your Ob/midwives. Do what you can to make sure they know and respect your wishes. Sometimes synto is necessary (PPH etc), but if everything has gone well, no major blood loss etc then there's no reason why you need it. My Ob for DS2 had no dramas with me having a physiological third stage. Same with midwives for DS3.

Re: first breastfeed. DS1 wasn't particularly interested, so sometimes it may take bub a little while to get its head (mouth?) around, but as we did with DS1, I put DS2 and DS3 near my breast and nipple and they have a root around and latched on pretty well straight away. All bubs are different. The midwives can help you though, so don't hesitate to ask for their assistance to get bub attached if you're unsure.

Wow mine were freakishly fast then. My third stages were as follows:
    Bubs 1: 10 mins
    Bubs 2: 4 mins
    Bubs 3: 5 mins

Bring in your written birth plan with you and have the really important points that you need them to follow in red...helps to draw the eye to it (ie delayed clamping until cord stops pulsing and is free of blood) and physiological third stage.

DD2: placenta took 46 minutes. I found that it took a bit of work but that could also of been because i hadnt had a natural third stage before and didnt know what to expect. I lost within the normal range of 500ml.

DD3: 20 minutes. much easier this time and i was prepared in the sense that i knew that it was a continuation of the labour basically. but it came down much faster and without so much time. lost about 800mls all up?? not sure must check the loss on my notes...

Make sure that you have your terms set out well before delivery and if there is a shift change to ensure that you let the knew staff members know. after the birth it is so quick and easy for them to forget and do things out of habit...or because they are in a hurry. it's a very easy one for them to overlook and believe it is not important to the mother and baby once baby is here ITMS.

Bring in your written birth plan with you and have the really important points that you need them to follow in red...helps to draw the eye to it (ie delayed clamping until cord stops pulsing and is free of blood) and physiological third stage.

DD2: placenta took 46 minutes. I found that it took a bit of work but that could also of been because i hadnt had a natural third stage before and didnt know what to expect. I lost within the normal range of 500ml.

DD3: 20 minutes. much easier this time and i was prepared in the sense that i knew that it was a continuation of the labour basically. but it came down much faster and without so much time. lost about 800mls all up?? not sure must check the loss on my notes...

Make sure that you have your terms set out well before delivery and if there is a shift change to ensure that you let the knew staff members know. after the birth it is so quick and easy for them to forget and do things out of habit...or because they are in a hurry. it's a very easy one for them to overlook and believe it is not important to the mother and baby once baby is here ITMS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast