Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staph....dammit!

No staph for me - I must have contaminated it when I did the first swab.
    Yay.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

So the staph has gone? Hows the In-Liven going?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Aaah, good (I think)...I don't feel like I'm detoxing anything but who knows what's going on inside me?! Could it have gotten rid of any staph I had, you think? Wait, I had the last LVS done before I started In-Liven...
    Speaking of In-Liven, I have a question but I'll go to the In-Liven thread...

Someone at my birthing class asked about this last night and the midwife said that the treatment option is ultimatly up to the Ob. She said that some of them will prescribe penecillin as a precaution and others will wait and monitor the baby for signs of infection after the birth. Apparently when it (step) is in the vaginal area, there is a risk that if the baby inhales at the wrong time, they might inhale the bug and thereby contract it (strep). The mid did stress that it is a very rare occurance though hence why most Ob's now prefer to wait to see if the baby shows any sign of infection before prescribing a treatment.
    But it is great news that the second swab came back clear for you Choc!

MG

Indeedy-do!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Ultimately, the decision of treatment is the mothers I have supported a mother who hadn't had a strep test (hospital forgot) so they deemed her positive. She refused ab's on the basis that if she or the baby showed sign of infection then treatment would happen, the Ob admitting the risk is low if positive. Also a mum I am supporting now, same hospital but in the birth centre was asked if she wanted it. The midwife telling her if she had it, and was positive, she would have to be transferred out of the birth centre. She declined the test. No fuss.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Actually, the second LVS swab came back saying it wasn't a 'heavy growth of Strep B' like the first LVS but a 'slight growth'.......maybe the EPO I've been taking has flushed it out? Can that happen? Interesting...
    Last edited by chocolatecatty; October 22nd, 2006 at 12:35 PM.

You'd be surprised. Staph is actually a very common form of bacteria that can be found in a lot of places in you're environment inclusing hair, skin flora, pretty much everywhere. GBS I think might be Group B streptococcal which is something which I now have and have been doing some research about. I've been instructed to go straight to hospital as soon as my waters break. They normally give IV antibiotics routinely (normally penicillin although I too am allergic so probably some other sort of broad spectrum) as there is a risk that once your waters break it can travel up to the birth canal to your baby or the baby can contract it when he/she passes through the birth canal. There can be complications in as many as 40-70% of cases for baby but this is mainly with babies born less then 37 weeks or who may be immunocompromised in some way. I only hope that everything goes ok. We've just reached the 37 weeks mark which improves our chances of things being ok.

I suffer from Staph infections all the time. I have one now, and had three all at once not so long ago(but during this pregnancy). I was given antibiotics, but even though they healed a bit, they needed to be lanced and drained - all 3! Staph lives in your nose, everyone has it! They generally don't cause you any harm. I happen to be allergic to my dh's staph. Would you believe it!?! Some of my infections have actually come from my water bottles and cups. If they're not sterilised and cleaned properly, the germs live around the mouth/ pop top of the cup/ water bottle. Hope you find the cause and are free from it soon. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12