Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D&C

Default D&C

Please help.

I suffered a IVF mc on 18th march but had been spotting since th e10th March - i am still spotting and after emailing my FS he wants to do a curette done as soon as possible as my spotting has continued for so long.

I don't know what to do and thought i would seek the advice of you lovely ladies who sadly may have been in the same situation that i find myself now

I have had a total of four d&c over the last 6 years, is there a limit as to how many you can have??

Will the cause scaring in my uterus?

I know sometimes it can help with getting a BFP

so lost and confused right now

Pitapata,
    I know where you are, I spent a few months waiting for a mass left behind from a previous D&C to disolve but continued to bleed for all that time.In the end I bit the bullet as it was starting to emotionally drain me. So I had it done and the gynie told me that there was no way that it would of resolved any other way.
    In the space of 3 years I had a investigatory surgery & 5 D&C's and a few IVF procedures all up- now I add more IVF and C-Section. I have minimal scaring which suprises me but am sure my cervix issues are because of all that has happened and all the dilations done.
    I would seriously look at other treatment but if it was to consume you think about another D&C and yep the BFP increases after a good D&C, but then again you always hear of the unfortunate one that got an infection!
    Good luck hun
    Last edited by Visitor9; April 9th, 2008 at 07:59 PM.

thanks bec

my bleeding is minimal, only in my knickers and of course brown(sorry!) MY np has said to give it a little bit longer - although i should be getting af again soon!!!!

really dont know what to do

Awww Pitapata...I'm so sorry to hear this after everything you've been through

It's a very personal decision but I can understand your hesitation. There is increased risk of Asherman's Syndrome (scarring and adhesions in the uterus) with multiple d&c's but the fact is it can happen after just one or two - my sister has Asherman's after having a d&c for retained products and haemorraghing after the births of both her babies (so 2 d&c's).

When I had my m/c at 12 weeks, it was strongly recommended that I had one and for my own emotional state, I agreed, but I was terrifed of Asherman's after seeing what happened with my sister.

I'd suggest you discuss your fears with your FS, see if he can do another u/sound to rule out retained products (God I HATE that term) and then discuss if it's absolutely necessary. If it is, can he do the procedure himself? I think it would be a lot easier if you had someone you knew and trusted to perform the procedure.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help....

thanks willow

I am going to call my FS tomorrow as i am confused - they said i wouldn't need it as my HCG levels quickly drooped to 0.

also can the internal bleeding /left product (i hate this too) cause scaring ? or do you mean the D&C caused your sisters condition?

I was put on a drug to give me a natural expellation of the retained products well as natural as you can get with a huge mass left behind. Maybe you can take it first... cant remember the name of it but it wasnt primulut it was a stronger similar to a evaculation drug iykwim
    Bec

hi PP,
    I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. You have been through so much already. when I miscarried our ivf bub, I took a drug to induce the miscarriage. I had no bleeding after that but my FS still wanted to do an ultrasound to ensure the miscarriage was complete. she saw only a small amount of "products" taht should not have been there and did a d&C to get them out only and assured me that she would not do a "full d&C".
    so i would agree that an ultrasound to look at what is going on in there should be done rather than just doing a d&C straight away.

Pitapata - my sister's condition was caused by the D&Cs...she was just unlucky I guess. I do believe though that infection can cause the same condition, and perhaps this is why your FS is concerned. I actually have really bad scaring and adhesions all over the left side of my pelvis (fortunately, my uterus is completely unaffected but this is what caused my secondary infertility) and one of the first tests my FS (Dr S) did was a blood test to check for past infections etc as this can sometimes be the cause. Not so in my case, he did a lap later which showed mine were the result of the surgery I had to remove the cyst from my ovary.

The bleeding in itself won't cause any problems (as far as I'm aware) but prolonged bleeding can be a symptom of something a bit suss, which is probably why your FS wants to look into it. I'd speak with him/her about it tomorrow if you can.

thanks again ladies

My GP suggested that if i was still bleeding in another week then he would suggest a US - maybe i will ask my FS to do this instead before making my mind up on the D&C. i only have min pain - nothing to take anything and it really is only on my knickers - nothing when i wipe, and either only in the morning or only in the evening

i talked about it with my MIL - she is a midwife and she said that i would have to get a butcher of a DR to result in scaring

I too have a lot of scaring but my FS have alll said that my uterus is clear (at the moment)

i have also been on antibiotics for my last IVF cycle

i just wanted to give you a hug and let you know that i am thinking of your

take care and hope it all works out- just go with your gut- you know your body better than anybody
    take care
    odette

Default TMI!!

sorry to have to write this but i am now going out of my mind.

today the spotting has stopped but has been replaced by an amount of discharge that dries with a yellow colour in my undies!!

i still have some abdominal pain but haven't been able to go to the toilet properly for two days and do 'feel' a bit bunged up.

I guess I'm just worried about my colour of discharge and the little lower back pain that i am experiencing

what should i do

I have emailed my FS again...........am i heading towards a D&C will this help with my discharge?

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

sorry to hear what you are going through, might be a good idea to get it looked at.

PP - that actually sounds to me like it might be the blood loss settling down? I'd really try to see your FS or your GP at least.

Big hun...

Thanks - i did see GP and he said come back in another week!!!

FS said to have D&C

just worried about infection AGAIN as i always get one after IVF - even though i didn't have much done this time!!

i just feel like ive got af pains - a dull nagging pain that she is about to show and this has really only began since i stopped spotting - although like i said i really haven't been to the loo much so it could be this too

Thanks will wait and see what FS says tomorrow

Maybe they could start you on a course of anti'bs as a precaution?

Good luck hun, you certainly deserve a break...

Pita,
    I was goinf to say it sounds abit infectiony to me, usually it starts yellowish and can change to green. The horrible thing is the smell. Hope you finally get a break soon

FS wants me in next Friday for a D&C as i bled for so long just to be safe.

I am still getting abdominal pain and have emailed him with regards to this so i guess that is why he still wants to do it

I am just scared about the whole scaring issue!!I have heard of women that have D&C and go on to have a BFP as its a bit of a clean out!!

Is there anyway i can prevent the scaring happening or is it just a luck thing??

My last FS said that you are more likely to get a BFP after surgery? is this true for a D&C?

My last FS said that you are more likely to get a BFP after surgery? is this true for a D&C?
    It can happen but I don't think it happens as much as people say. I kinda put a lot of hope in this theory but as you know, it didn't work that way for us.

As for the scaring - I think some people are more prone to it than others, part of it is luck, and a big part is the skill of the surgeon perfroming the procedure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast