View Poll Results: How long did you wait to conceive again?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Next cycle

26 43.33%
  • 2-3 months

13 21.67%
  • 3-6 months

8 13.33%
  • 6-12 months

8 13.33%
  • 12 months or longer

5 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take you to try to conceive again?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default How long did it take you to try to conceive again?

When did you start trying to conceive after miscarriage or loss? The poll is simply to see how different everyone is, there are no right or wrong answers.

Last edited by BellyBelly; January 29th, 2007 at 08:02 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

mummyspunkrat Guest

It would also be useful to see what type of loss people have experienced. Early or late m/c, still birth and neonatal loss all have their own unique consequences and ways they play out in your mind and body. I lost my baby, Grace, in the last 10 minutes of her birth. The type of loss experienced also has an effect on when you try again.

Melinda Guest

Hi,

Kelly, that's quite an interesting poll. For me personally, I am in the first trimester of my third PG, the previous two having ended in m/c. With each PG, I conceived the very first time we tried. Apparently we are a very fertile couple!

Mummysprunkrat - I think your suggestion is great and well worth consideration. You are absolutely right in that the type of loss experienced will result in different emotional and physical responses (that's not to say that there is a 'standard' response for a given situation however, as everybody is different), and will also play a vital role in when you feel ready to TTC again.

Thought I'd bump this up again as there are a few newbies about and it's a question that's often asked. Deciding when to start TTC again after a m/c or loss can be quite a complex issue.

Angel.

kirsty Guest

Okay I'll bite the bullet & post here.

We lost our 2nd son at 18w5d gestation due to my waters breaking ~ we had to make the decision to terminate or let mother nature take her course (won't go into it in more detail as it is all in my loss story). That was the hardest decision of my life as we went through a stage where we thought we would never conceive naturally ~ our first son took us 3yrs & even then it was with the help of a naturopath ~ so to have fallen PG again was a huge blessing for us. I needed loads of time to get past things before we thought about trying again. Things like the fact of when we conceived Alex, when we lost him etc. I wanted to take all this into consideration before we fell PG again.

I am happy to say that we are now TTC #3 after a long & often intense journey of self discovery & awareness. Here's hoping to better luck this time around.

Jackie Guest

I'll be next in line then

I had an eptopic pg after having my tubes tied for 13 years, what a shock to fall pg but what a very nice surprise to.
    Was a very emotional time, have a new DH, so wasn't sure how he would react to me being pg, turned out he was over the moon, especially since the first scans didn't show eptopic, anyway, had emergency surgery on my birthday as the tube was about to, i don't know the correct word, so burst will have to do. We decided that it would be so nice to have a bub, so I've had a reversal, and am now TTC.

There is of course a risk that if/when I fall pg it will be eptopic, but the gyn who did the op said everything went really well. So here is hoping that all will go well.

At the moment I have everything crossed, well umm almost everything

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Hi everyone
    I am very interested in this poll and maybe also how long it took before people did concieve again if it applies
    My daughter Charlotte was born still 26wks - we were told to wait at least 3 months and we had too because of other complications. Had a currette then got all clear from Dr so waited about 3 1/2 - 4 months (one cycle after curette).
    Now in 2nd month of TTC

I lost a baby around the 13th Dec, I was about 6wks, it came away naturally & I was told I would not ovulate until I was mentally & physically ready, I was waiting for my period so i could start temping & OPKing again, but nothing, did a HPT & got a BFP!

It took us almost 14months to fall preg the first time & now immediately after the loss we are preg again, I am amazed & shocked!

akimum Guest

I have had 4 m/c all between 7 - 8 weeks.

1 then DS and now 3. Don't know the reason why and last m/c was tested for genetic default but came back all clear and a girl. My doctor is the type that will try things slowly and one at a time but I want to say to him next time I fall pg to give me everything to make sure it sticks I don't want to lose another one. But as he's the expert will be governed by his recommendation. We always wanted children close in age so they grow up together as I have 9 years from my nearest sister and DH has 6 and at times felt like being an only child.

My first loss was an ecptopic and I was about 7 weeks. I didnt even know I was pg until the day before I m/cd and that was because of the pain.

My second two were straight after one another with the first being around 6 weeks and the second being longer but not totally sure...

Still trying for #1 and feeling much healthier and more determined than ever!

Keen

It took us 9 months to start TTCing again........I had a missed MC at 13 weeks in July 2002 and didn't start TTCing again until April 2003.

Phsically I was fine, but emotionally I wasn't........too scared of another MC, which is why we waited. And the result was a couple of months of Belly Belly & TTC & we fell pregnant with Olivia............

mooshie Guest

ok i will had my story here

we started ttc way way long ago it took around 2 yrs of sort of trying but i lost that baby at 11wks gestation - after 8mths break we fell pg with dd jessica on the first month back ttc (i think the d&c might have done some good) we conceived ds no problems with first cycle of ttc when dd was 1. however we lost our dd aged 3 1/2yrs in march 2002 to a brain tumour - after much discussion we decided we would start ttc in november 2002 but it was hard darn hard emotionally and physically - i was so desperate for a girl it was something i couldn't get over - i really can't explain it and i won't go into detail but it did take a hell of a long time months of up and down yes i hope i am pg and when doing the test praying it would be neg - all sorts of emotional stuff anyway in dec 2003 i fell pg - i was convinced that i would have a boy and was surprised i was pg as i remember ovulation being on a thursday and dh and i fighting around the time so no bd for us until the following wednesday and bang 9 mths later came our beautiful little girl lani.

i think the mind has a lot to do with the ttc journey.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

*bump*
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Okay, here are my two cents
    I had my first m/c at 7weeks just a few months after coming of o/c then got pg again within 3mths (not really trying) that was DD then about 18mths later came off o/c and was pg within DAYS but lost that one (boy) at 16wks. It took another 12mths to get pg again but then lost 3 more all at about 12 weeks. My last m/c was in June '06 and I am only now feeling like I can try again (Age may be against me though :frown: ) Still, cant stop wanting no 2 so guess we will keep trying.

here is my two cents worth so to speak
    after my 1st m/c we waited 4 months and it took 9 months to fall (after the due date of the one I lost - who knows if that was a mind over matter thing), after the 2nd we waited 2 months. This time I am waiting until we have results of tests, we are going away to talk about it.....

I lost my baby at 8 weeks but didnt find out until 11 weeks after ttc for 7mths, its now 6 weeks since my curette today. We had planned to wait for one period b4 trying again, but i am yet to get a proper af only spotting but with my temps and everything i think im fertile at the moment and we decided to start last night after a couple of days of being unsure and scared. Im glad we made the decision just hope we didnt leave it too late..

It took hubby and I one month to concieve. We missed out the first month and got it the second. We got a 4 days ago.

clare076 Guest

We lost Max at 16w3d due to chromosomal abnormality. We were told we didn't have to wait but were advised to allow time for the natural grieving process etc. I dont feel any length of time would have been enough to greive for my son, so we started trying as soon as AF arrived 6 weeks later. We conceived that cycle, and hopefully it is a sticky one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast