Thread: How long to wait after Partial Molar Pregnancy?

Default How long to wait after Partial Molar Pregnancy?

Hi

I had a d&c a couple of weeks ago and was told that it was a Partial Molar pregnancy last week. I am currently waiting for my hCG to go below 1, my first test after the 'diagnosis' was 7 and I am due for my second next week - and the Dr said she didn't think I would need more after.

The Dr who saw me at KEMH said the info sheet she gave me was out of date and it say that I must not get pregnant for a year !!!!!!! She did say that I would be given a wait time once my hCG levels were low.

I was wondering if this time frame is still current and how long any one else waited after a partial molar pregnancy because if we have to wait a year, I think that will mean no kids for DH as we don't have the luxury of time on our side.

Thanks

Thanks

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this It can be so confusing.

It depends what state you're in as to what their guidelines are.

In Victoria, if your levels hit zero within 8 weeks, then you're all good to start trying again. (Mine did, but alas I don't live down there!) If you don't hit zero within 8 weeks, then I think they suggest you wait a year.
    Here in QLD, if your levels hit zero within 8 weeks, then they advise that you wait until 6 months from the date of diagnosis before trying again, with monthly tests between that 8 week-ish mark. (you have to get three consecutive <2 readings to be counted as zero) If you don't hit zero within 8 weeks, then they advise that you wait 6 months from your third consecutive <2 reading.

I just know about those two from ladies on here.

Pretty much anywhere, though, if your levels plateau or start rising again and you have to go down the chemo road, then it is a full year wait.

My levels hit zero (actually <1.5, that's as low as they measure) at 57 days post d & c, and stayed down until the end of the 6 month period. There was a thread going where a few of us compared levels, but I can't find it.

Let me know if you want to know anything else, because I know how much it sucks

Hi Audax

Thank you for your information

I am in Perth. My hCG level last was 7 - 13 days after the d&c and the doctor did say that she thought my test this week would likely be the last test when she gave me the result of the first.

I was 10wks when I had the d&c as an early pregnancy scan detected a possible blighted ovum and I had to wait a couple of weeks before it was confirmed.

I am hoping that over here we are more like SA, it's amazing how the advice can be so different within the same country.

I see you are due soon - I hope everything goes nice and smoothly for the last 60ish days, that your back doesn't ache too much, your indigestion is mild, your sleep not too disturbed, the heat stays cool and that the labour is short, sweet and not too painful.

Indigestion is far from mild! But that is my only complaint, and even that is easy enough to deal with. After such a long wait and so many blood tests, I'm just thrilled to be here.

14 days after my d & c my levels wer still over 100, so you will be fine! BUT once the levels were under 10, they did take a while to drop.

It is a bit ridiculous, how the advice from doctors varies. Even within Melbourne, I had to see a GP down there for some issues, and he told me that we should be waiting 6 months, even though I know that the Vic system says otherwise

See if you can direct your caregiver to this site with some fairly good info.

Also, plenty of people just do their own thing, with the reasoning that if you're not supposed to get pregnant, you won't be able to. I think my body kind of subscribed to this theory, and it did end up taking us a few months to be back on the baby train.