Thread: MTHFR Gene

Default MTHFR Gene

Hi Girls

I was wondering if any of you knew if you had an abnormality in your MTHFR gene.

It turns out I do which is why I am having small babies as it causes a problem with the placenta cause my body doesn't break down protein quick enough. I was told by my OB that it is commonly found in women that have recurrent miscarriages and bleeding during pregnancy.

To help my protein break and reduce my homocysteine levels I am on 1000mcg of B12, 1000mg of B6, and 5mg of Folate. The folate you have to ask for special because they only stock 0.5mg of folate on the shelves and you can only get 5mg from the chemist it isn't available in health food stores.

Homocysteine breaks down your protein and turns into methoione. During the process the MTHFR enzyme is created and if your body doesn't process the homocysteine fast enough you get an abnormality in the MTHFR enzyme.

Also cause the body doesn't process Homocysteine fast enough the homocysteine levels can build up over time which later in life can cause clotting of the arteries and veins, clots in the lungs and legs, heart disease and strokes !!

Interesting stuff. Andrew's mum had 5 miscarriages before going on to have 2 small babies so she could also have this gene abnormality and not know it. Which would mean Andrew is a carrier and means the baby would be copping two lots of the abnormal gene. Andrew has to be tested on Friday to see if he has the abnormality or not. If he is my vitamin intake will again increase.

Love :smt049

I had not heard of that!

Kathryn I am glad that they found out what was causing this. I am also amazed that you were able to remember all that!

lol Lara

My OB was kind enough to write it all down for me with diagrams etc, and I did a bit of net searching last to to find out exactly what homocysteine did in "easy to understand" terms

Melinda Guest

I've never heard of the MTHFR gene to tell you the truth! Sorry Kathryn! But I can say that I am really glad that there is something that can be done about it!!

Was it picked up during a routine blood test or something, or did your OB decide to do more tests to find out the cause of what you've been experiencing? I'm just wondering because both DH and I had the whole barrage of tests done after my first m/c (including chromosomal tests) which were clear - just wondering if that MTHFR thing would show up on those tests (considering it's a genetic thing).

Interesting stuff Kathryn - hopefully Andrew doesn't have it and you don't have to worry about increasing the vitamins any further. I'll be interested to know how it all goes.

Another one over here who hasn't heard of it! Let us know how it goes. I hope Andrew gets the all clear. Good luck!

Hi Girls

yeah my OB requested it specially. She said at my appt on the 8th that she was going to order an antibody test on my last blood samples I had taken.

Andrew's blood referral thing says "test required - MTHFR"

Hi Ladies
    I have heard of MTHF but haven't been tested. My naturopath put me onto FolicAcid 1000mcg but I don't know whether its making a differnce or not. I've had one miscarraige and occassionally bleed very heavily when I get my period (I suspect I'm miscarrying even before I get to do a test). I don't have an OB but after reading your emails I think I need to find one. Any one recommend a female OB in Melbourne city (preferably Freemasons)?

My husband & I are currently going through our second cylce of IVF and awaiting results of the transfer - keep your fingers crossed, this will be our first so its very exciting.

I just got my genetics back and I tested positive for MTHFR 677T hetero. The weird thing is that DH also tested positive for the other variant, MTHFR 1298C. If it was just me I'd be feeling ok, like it was treatable. I don't lknow what it means if we both have it - can't see the FS til 24 July. On the other hand I am just glad they found SOMETHING.

I *think* from what I was told if you both have it then your son/daughter will also have it

Love

Thanks Kathryn.

So you don't think us both having it would prevent us having our own baby? I know that they can easily treat the female partner...I just have no idea what it means with us both having it. So many questions at this point! DId your DH get his results back yet?

Hi Scarlet.

Yes my original post was in my 2nd pregnancy over 3 yrs ago. My husband didn't have a gene abnormality, and we have gone on to have another baby since then. I had to take aspirin daily as well as everything else during my last pregnancy.

Love

shardtke Guest

Default Mthfr

Hi
    I just saw Astrolady's info about MTHFR through a google search and I am hoping you can help.
    I had a miscarriage with our first try a couple of years ago, then my healthy, 19 month old son, then my son was stillborn on 8/5/08 at 21 weeks.

Through a bunch of tests I was told I was Heterzygous for MTHFR, so I have one working one and one not. My homocysteine levels were then tested and were 5.9, which Periontologist said was normal and nothing more was needed. She said if it made me feel better I can up my folate, but not really nec. She also said she did not think this was the cause of death for my son.

My question is, do normal homocysteine levels rule out the risk of clotting or other risks associated with the one bad copy of the MTHFR gene.

I have another app't with a Periontologist tomorrow, so I want to ask the right questions. I so don't want to lose another child if I can take something to help.

Any help you can provide will be so greatly appreciated.

Sonia

Default Mthfr

Hello Sonia

I just read your post and saw that it is a few weeks old already. Have you had any news regarding your MTHFR status?

I am compound hetero MTHFR (meaning I have 2 bad copies, but inherited only from one parent). I read somewhere that it is as risky as having homo MTHFR.

It's all very confusing...if you have any information to share, thank you very much for letting me know!

I also haven't heard of this gene but admit to thinking it short hand for a very rude swear word. LOL.

Lol Krysalyss that is what mum and I used to say as well

Love