Thread: retroverted uterus

Default retroverted uterus

Hi there,
    Was just wondering if anyone has (or has heard of) a retroverted uterus. The ultrasound guy said I have one, which would mean I will always have to have internal u/s! He said it makes no difference to my ability to carry a baby, but that ws whilst he was examining me when I had miscarried, so i am not convinced.

Can anyone enlighten me??

Thanks

p.s I have posted this question in pregnant after a loss too

Hi Hun

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, but it wasn't caused by your retroverted uterus. Many women have this (me included) and it means very little - in fact, at 12w pg, it looks just the same as a verted uterus. So you can have normal ultrasounds - the only difference I found was that they had to press a bit harder at my 9w scan.

Not only is retroverted uterus common, but it's less odd than the problem of retroverted heart and lungs, where the heart is on the right side. It's just something flipped in development, but it's you and it works - at least it's easy to find your uterus, it's not like looking for a heartbeat in the wrong place!

I was pg first cycle too, so it shouldn't make conception any harder.

victorine Guest

I have one and fell pregant the 1st time I had unprotected sex.My doctors here and in London told me that it's fairly common, and actually the uterus becomes verted as the pregnacy progress so you can give vaginal birth, and then when baby is born, it goes back to the retroverted position. That's what happened with me whne I had vaginal still born, within 4 weeks, my uterus was back the way it was. As to the scan, all mine were external,so I don't know what this guy is about.As a matter of fact internal scan can actually create scarring and cause conception problems!
    talk your obgyn and seek 2nd opinion if necessary.
    Hope this helps

I'm sorry you lost your baby loubell.
    As others have said a retroverted uterus doesn't cause miscarriages.
    I have one (and yeah I've had two miscarriages but entirley unrelated to that).
    It is actually considered a variation of normal - about 30% of women have it so it's not uncommon or abnormal at all. All it means is that the top of your uterus points towards your back instead of your belly button.
    By the time your about 12-14 weeks it will have moved to the same position as an anteverted one.
    As far as scans go, I usually have to have internal scans for really early ones (say before about 10 weeks). After that you just have a regular abdominal scan because by then it will be in a better position to see.
    HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by victorine View Post
    As a matter of fact internal scan can actually create scarring and cause conception problems!
    Not sure about that... is that what you were told by your doctor? I've never seen or heard any suggestion of this before.

Just thought I'd let you know that my uterus was retroverted when I had an ultrasound many years ago and it wasn't when I went for my recent one. My FS at the time said it can revert in time and mine did.