Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time taken to conceive?

Default Time taken to conceive?

DH and I are planning to try TTC another baby early next year.
    I am just curious about whether or not it will be difficult next time around? After my miscarriage in Oct last year, I have gone from a regular 28 day cycle to AF turning up whenever she wants... my last cycle was 36 days, the previous one was 41 days.
    I just feel like my body isn't mine anymore... and I would ideally like to fall pregnant around the time we're planning but have a feeling this might not be the case for us.
    So, I am curious about how long it took others to conceive after a miscarriage?
    TIA
    Lisa

HI Lisa, we had a miscarriage in November 2006 and were pregnant again by mid January 2007. Unfortunately we also miscarried this one as well. Our ob recommended we have a 2 month break before trying again. We did this and conceived a month later (so 3 months after the 2nd miscarriage.) We now have a beautiful little boy. If you are keen on pinpointing the best time to DTD in order to conceive, we have found ovulation tests to be fantastic. They are accurate and let us know that the timing was right.
    Good luck for next year. I am sure AF will settle down as time goes on.

Thanks Kirsten.
    I was thinking that I might get some O tests and start using them now to see when I O. I have no idea about my cycle anymore... I usually get EWCM twice and I am always overdue for AF... if I can start getting some idea about my cycle again, it may help for when we do start TTC.
    Thanks again for your advice

Hi Lisa, I find "temping" really useful for understanding what my body is doing. I use Fertility Friend to do all the charting for me and even though you can't really tell when you are about to ovulate, you can at least see the pattern a few days later and start to learn a bit more about your cycles. I find that I am more concious of my cervical mucus and any ovulation pain when I am temping because I focus on it more, and I'm able to link those signs with what my chart is doing.

Oh, and I actually find it fun, lol. How silly yeah?!

Hi Krystie
    I used to love temping too... because it made me feel 1 step closer to conceiving.
    I don't know if temping would be real accurate for me right now as I have many disturbed nights sleeps... mostly because my hips and pelvis still hurt from carrying Harrison... but there are some nights where Harrison is restless, especially at the moment whilst he is teething.
    I might give it a try though... I observe my CM atm but thats about it. I might try temping next cycle.
    Thanks for your advice

Hi Lisa

It took us 3 cyles to conceive after my first m/c. That one also ended in m/c. Then another 3 cycles to concieve this baby now. We were actively trying straight away after each one.

Good luck and i hope you have a healthy pregnancy soon

Hi Lisa, I had a m/c in January '07 and was pg again in Feb '07, so I fell pg after one cycle. I went on to have a happy healthy boy .

The O tests sound like the best way for you to find out what your body is doing.

Hi Lisa,

I had a miscarriage in July 2007 and conceived again in January 2008 - 6 months later. I am now 20 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I used ovulation tests to pinpoint ovulation, as temping and monitoring cervical mucus was confusing to me. The internet ovulation tests are MUCH cheaper than the supermarket ones and just as good, in terms of quality.

Wishing you a speedy conception!

hi Lisa,

i mc'd in December last year, and we are still trying, so tis been 6 months so far...fingers crossed for it to happen soon! good luck for you too

I hate be the odd one out here, but I'll tell my story anyway - I lost my little angel on the 29th of June 2007 and we decided to wait until August to TTC again, so we're in our 10th month of TTC and like you Lisa, my cycles are all over the place. Sometimes I get mine early, some times I get them super later. My last 4 cycles (including this one) were : 99 days, 23 days, 25 days and the current one is so far up to 35 days (with AF being due in 2 days according with when I O'ed and such)
    I'm sorry if I wasn't much help, but I thought I'd share my story

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice.

DH and I don't want to start TTC until next year, but in the mean time, I need to know what is going on with my body.
    I hate being all over the place... I feel terrible for it too.

Krystie, Tina and Liz... I have everything crossed for you all... I am wishing so hard that you all see a nice, big strong BFP real soon

We m/c Dec 2007 and we are still ttc...

we miscarried feb this year and have been trying since, it took six weeks for me to get AF after the D&C, cycles since have been roughly normal (28-30 days) but this one (the third) went 8 days over and i think was an early loss. i do believe every woman's body is different, i'm taking truckloads of vitamins and minerals as well as flaxseed oil to try and be healthy as i can at my age. good luck

Smilanatu - I hope you see a BFP real soon too hun.

Karan - Thank you for your advice. The thing with me is I kinda beat myself up for not having a D&C after the miscarriage... I was angry at how I was treated by the hospital and annoyed at them for being concerned for me only after the miscarriage. I wonder if having the D&C would have made a difference to my cycle today? I had a D&C after losing Noah (for different reason's though... his placenta was stuck) and I fell pregnant on my 3rd cycle after having him... my cycle after having him was perfect too, back to a 28 day cycle.
    I am hoping you will see your BFP real soon too hun

lisa, i don't know if before or after a m/c makes any difference to your treatment in hospital, i got better care and more empathy 20 years ago having a termination in a private clinic that i did waiting 14 hours for Coffs hospital to even admit me and then to have them botch the operation anyways. d&c always carries a risk of perforation, scarring, and opening the cervix unnecessarily. i had mine because it was 10 days into a missed m/c but they didnt get it all anyway and i ended back in hospital twice. they had already sent me home bleeding a few days before without even an examination. truly i think it's al up to how well your body bounces back...and BTW, punkinator is the cutest!!! you must be so proud

Thanks so much Karan.
    Must be something with Mid North Coast hospitals and their empathy toward miscarrying mums... My "treatment" was through Port Macquarie hospital... though I couldn't fault them when I had Noah there... they were brilliant then.

Lisa... thanks for your hope

I had a m/c between DS and DD, I did not have D&C and was pregnant pretty quick (granted I was 15 years younger...LOL). This time I had a D&C and AF took like 12 weeks to return and we are still TTC. AF has been normal (for me) since the return...26 day cycle, light, approx 4 days, and pain free. I guess what I am saying is...it's all about our bodies and when they are ready...not necessarily if you have a D&C or not.

Goodluck with your TTC journey I you get a very soon!

well first cycle was 6 weeks after my d&c, next was four weeks later, next went four weeks and 8 days, tho i suspected an early loss, this one was at four weeks and at five! so go figure. looks like my body just did what it darn well wanted!
    Last edited by ~Aveta~; June 25th, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast