Thread: When will I get my 2nd period after a M/C? Could something be wrong?

rachellemarie Guest

Unhappy When will I get my 2nd period after a M/C? Could something be wrong?

Hi All. I'm kind of down in the dumps today. I just feel like I will never be back to normal. I was hoping maybe some of you could give me some words of advice.

I am 25 years old and TTC with my husband. I was every 28 days like clockwork and have been since I started my period in fourth grade. We found out we were pregnant in early-mid March. I started bleeding at work when I was six weeks along. After three days of bleeding and monitoring my hcg levels via blood work they finally gave me an ultrasound I had been asking for and determined I had a miscarriage because there was no sack. This was April 1. I only bled for four days and it was normal period bleeding...not too heavy or too light. It stopped for a week and then I bled for two more days on April 12 and 13.

My first period did not come until June 4th which was total from the first day of the miscarriage 9 WEEKS! It felt like eternity and I called my doctor every week it was late and they kept reassuring me it was normal. Well when it finally came I was elated because I figured my hormones were now regular again. Wrong! This Wednesay will make 5 Weeks since my period on June 4th and still nothing?!? How long does it normally take for a second period? Should I plan on waiting another 9 weeks?

I just feel like something isn't right. I know your hcg levels have to go back down to 0 or something before you start having your periods again after a M/C. What I don't understand is that on March 30th my hcg level was only 25...so they were really really low when we found out I had a miscarriage. Is there any possibility that something else could be wrong? I called my doctor again today to see if there were any blood work or exams they could do to make sure nothing was wrong and they just said it's normal.

Has anybody ever had this happen to them? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I can take 9 more weeks.

Hi rachelle,

So sorry to hear you are going through this. Unfortunatley post miscarriage there are no "normals".

Your periods may be irregular for quite some time, and this can be so had when you are ttc.

I am wondering if you had a d&c or if you miscarry naturally? Personally i'd be listening to that lil voice inside of your head thats telling you that something is up.... did you have a folow up ultrasound? Might be worth getting another docs opinion.... and maybe an ultrasound to wnsure there is nothing in there.

If nothing else it will help relieve your stress and it in itself with help you heal.

Good luck and lots of strength for your journey.

rachellemarie Guest

Thanks Kitt3n for replying. I did not have a d&c. It was a natural miscarriage. I called the doctor today to ask if there were any tests that could be done and they said no that it was "normal." I have an appointment with my doctor on the 18th and if I haven't started by then I'm definitly gonna ask for some tests, blood work, ultrasound, etc. The way I look at it...I have insurance and I'm going to pay for it so if it makes me feel better then why wouldn't they go ahead and run some tests?

I don't know. I was worried about left over material in my uterus. I've had aching pain in my lower abdomen for going on a week and a half now. It now is localized to my lower right abdomen and lower back. It was so intense last week I was naseus (sp?). So that has me worried too. Nevertheless I will keep waiting and see.

Thanks for the reply. It does help to know people are out there that can lend an encouraging word.