Thread: ? about twins

Uhu Guest

Default ? about twins

I was just wondering, with fraternal twins would you have two eggs come down at the same time or could the eggs come down at different times of the month so that you would be ovulating twice at different times in your cycle? Just curious ;-)

I am pretty sure the eggs come down together but don't hold me too that.

Love :hbeat:

I think they eggs pop out together, but I have heard stories about women who ovulated and conceived twice, days or even weeks apart. Don't know if they're just urban legends though! LOL.

Uhu Guest

Default ? about twins

Thanks Astrolady and Angel
    My girls are fraternal twins (chalk and cheese!) but I can't really remember how many times we bded as it was so long ago (9 years) and some old-aged memory loss has set in! Also I was just wondering if you have had twins once, what are your chances of having twins again? I have heard conflicting reports on this.

I have heard that some women ovulate more than once per month, and this could be the cause of fraternal twins.

Angel, you are right it does happen that way with some fertility drugs like clomid they can be concieved days apart (I have also heard of it happening with IVF too). I remember reading a newspaper article about a women who concieved two children a few months apart (I am pretty sure it was IVF) she gave birth to one (via c/s I think) and then a few months had to do it all again :shock:

*hugs*
    Cailin

i dont think id like to have them months apart.. but together would be alright, can u imagine being so tired from a newborn and then still being tired and fed up with pregnancy aswell...

i was told the chances of twins runs high if you have had twins in your family before

LEsley

My understanding is that the eggs 'hatch' together because it would be largely dictated by the hormone levels in your body. However, under artficial treatments like IVF or clomid, I could understand how eggs may come down at different times.

I saw a show that had a mum delivering one twin prematurely (about 26 weeks) and the other one staying inside for the 9 months. SO even though they were twins, they had different birthdays (by about 3 months). But I believe they were conceived at the same time.

Hayseed

*Yvette* Guest

Hi Uhu.

Funnily enough I've been reading up on twins a lot lately, lol. I've read that it is indeed possible for the eggs to be released at different times, therefore twins conceived at different times. This would make it pretty tricky working out a due date. Of course there are also instances where twins have been born quite far apart, probably for this reason.

*Yvette* Guest

Yep, multiple eggs can be fertilized by different fathers.