Thread: Birth Weights of your Twins?

Default Birth Weights of your Twins?

Hi just wondering what the general birth weight is to be expected for twins?

I will be using cloth nappies and am looking at getting premmie size pre-folds and then some one size nappies, so just wondering what the general weight range is.

I have had a 8pd-3.6kg baby 3 weeks early, then a 7pd9-3.4kg baby 2weeks early and am expecting early again as I will be having a scehduled cs due to being unable to birth naturally.

All help and comments greatly appreciated

Love

Xavier and Jordan were born at 34wks 5 days due to the blood flow in one of the cords.
    Xavier was 4pd 12 oz
    Jordan was 5 pd 10 oz.
    They were in Special Care for 5 days and we all went home together on the 6th day.
    I had steriod injections at 28wks and 2 days before I had them.

Nappies - I used Huggies disposable.

Wishing you all the very best and a happy and healthy pg.

Congratulations

Hi Helen,

I was told that about 50% of twins arrive before 37 weeks and 80% arrive by 38 weeks. I presume they will be scheduling your c-section for about 37 weeks?

Given that you have had healthy sized babies previously, I would say you can probably expect healthy sized twins (if they go to full term - that is 37 weeks).

Mine were born at 37 weeks 4 days and they weighed 3020g (6lb10oz) and 2900g (6lb7oz) which is apparently about average weight for 37 weeks gestation for a single baby. My DD was born at 40 weeks and weighed 3.6kg.

Good luck with your pregnancy. Twin pregnancy is a rollercoaster so get ready to hold on tight!

Mum's twins were 33wks1day.
    They weighed 1600gms - 3lb 8 1/2oz and 1670gms - 3lb 11oz

my friends twins were born naturally at 38 weeks 7lbs 8oz and 7lbs 9oz respectavily

My twins were born at 38weeks 6 days and that was a scheduled c/s - I was shocked I lasted that long but I did

Any way Adam was 6lb 6oz and Hayden was 6lb 7oz

Good luck
    Kelly

My gf's twin girls were born at 35 w and were both well over 6 lbs. That said, her DS born several years later was over 4 kgs at 41 wks - so she does not have little babies.

I'm an identical twin & I was 6lb something & my sister was 7lb something (not much help sorry LOL) I think we were about 2 weeks early (not c/s even though I was breach.... poor mum, I should call her more often hey LOL)

PMSL Danielle_M your mum did well.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies, it has been so long since I checked as the twin thread can be pretty quiet.

I will be having a sc c/s at 38 weeks. I expressly told my OB that I didnt want to go earlier than this provided that all is ok with the twins and my health. She agreed but also stated that if it got closer and I wanted to have them earlier she would look at that too. I am hoping that they weigh between 6 and 7pds but I have a feeling they will be bigger, they are already showing bigger in size than their due date and already pressing on my sciatic nerve.

We have decided newborn disposables and then move onto one-size cloth when they are big enough.

I had a c-section at 38 weeks. Torin weighed 5lb 4oz and Siobhan weighed 5lb 7oz. Due toi a few complications after their birth the drs believe they may have only been 36 weeks not 38 weeks

i dont have twins but have a few friends who have.
    one set born at 33weeks weighing about 2lb 9oz & 4lb
    one set born at 36weeks weighing 4lb 14oz and 5lb 13oz
    one set born at 37weeks weighing 5lb 6oz and 6lb 8oz

Two of my friends not long ago had twins
    Neveah & Levi fraternal born 37+3 both 4lb. Her other DD was 6lb 1oz, so they were bigger than expected. They are 5 weeks older than my DS & are about half his size! At 6 months they are still in 000's & 00's
    Cheyanne & Savannah identical born 32+4 at just over 1500 grams each. They were born the same day as my DS. I'm sure they are still in 0000's. They were in hospital in Sydney for 2 weeks, then in Dubbo for another 3 weeks.
    Good luck!

Sebastian was 2.185kg and Caleb was 2.580kg and growing fast.
    born 34.5 weeks.
    they are now 5+ weeks and weigh 2.50kg and 2.95kg

i recomend using disposables for a while and then switching to cloth we have the bum genious nappies but they only fit from about 4-5kg.

hope this helps

my twins were 10 weeks early and weighed 1402g and 1800g
    newborn nappies fitted around them twice
    they took till they were 2 years old to catch up to their peers and you cannot tell at all now
    definately play it by ear and go for the disposables at first
    we went through around 150 newborn nappies when they first came home from hospital a week so start buying when they are on special and stock piling them. Also attach the recepits to the outside of the boxes and that way if you dont use all that size, you can take them back and swap them over for the next size. You save heaps buying a box here and there whenever they are on special, and its one less thing to worry about when they are born.
    HTH
    odette