Thread: Maternity Leave

Default Maternity Leave

Hi ladies

I am a little confused as when to finish up work and start my matenity leave. Was just wondering when you guys went on maternity leave?

Shan

i went at 37 weeks with DD - but had to have a letter from my dr to work past 34 weeks.
    WIth this one i will aim to stop at 34 weeks

I stopped at 33 1/2 - but I'm an RN, and to work longer than 34 weeks I would have needed to have a letter from my doctor.

But I was sooooo ready to go on leave! It was not much fun trudging up the hill to the hospital, especially in the middle of the day, in Jan/Feb, and with massively swollen legs (I'm dividing the blame for that between being pregnant, and it being summer - I get a bit swollen every year), and then being on my feet all day. If I did a desk job, I might have been able to work longer...)

I reckon you should ask HRM when you HAVE to stop, and if you can work longer than that if you have a doctors letter, and put in to stop work then. You can always bring the date forward if you need to - a girl I worked with got bad varicose veins with her 3rd pregnancy, and stopped working 2 months before she planned to, because she could hardly walk (she had a large one in her vagina - ouch!).

Hi Shannon,

I am having twins as well and aim to go off work at 30weeks. I am 19 weeks now and will start part-time (3 days pw) not next week but the week after.

From what I have heard, you will probably feel like going off work earlier when carrying twins, also it is probably really good for you and the babies to be off your feet as much as possible! Also, full term is 38 weeks, so even if you go off at 32 weeks, it is technically 6 weeks before EDD.

Hi Shannon!

With DD#1 - I worked until 36 weeks (desk job so not too bad). I had no worries working that long - I was uncomfortable and very tired but otherwise fine.

With the twins, I was a SAHM so didn't have to worry about when to go on leave - but let me say it was an entirely different experience from my single pregnancy.

My personal opinion is that you will want to be on leave from about 30 weeks. Remember that you'll be carrying about as much weight as a single pregnancy at full term by 30 weeks. A twin pregnancy is so much more tiring and uncomfortable. the last couple of months I wasn't sleeping, couldn't stand, sit or lie comfortably and honestly couldn't make it through till lunch time without closing my eyes for a quick powernap.

Good luck! Having twins is very busy but lots of fun!

Shannon,

I finished work at 32 weeks. My job requires me to be on my feet most of the time and looking back on it I am soooo glad I finished when I did.

Man if I was expecting twins I'd easily be finishing up work at 28-30 weeks - as hannah said its tough going with a single pregnancy let alone twins

CONGRATULATIONS and best of luck with your decision!