Thread: recommended weight gain twin pregnancy

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Default recommended weight gain twin pregnancy

I have been reading a few different books about recom weight gain

one UK book by a DR (& mother of twins) pub -2004 said 18 - 23kg
    another book said 15-20kg

The first said to gain 11kg I think by 24wks and then at least .6kg a week thereafter

I am interested what others are doing,have been told or did ?

I started out at about 61-62kg

*Yvette* Guest

er, rather a lot, lol.

I normally put on about 3 stone, but with the twins it was more.

Kg? Um, about 25? I was 90 something at full bloom, am now 73.

Don't get too hung up about it though. As long as you make sure you're eating well enough & drinking plenty of water. You're gonna be more enormous than you ever thought possible, have a look at my belly photos. On Angus's site you can see how big I was with him, then I was that big at about 28 weeks or something with the twins. :shock:

Yvette
    thanks -
    I had a look OMGosh - I saw another ladies twin belly photos once and hers was the same -babies all out the front - she was standing next to her cots and was almost as wide as them out at front - side on.

I am not worried about putting on the weight more that I can eat enough to do it properly - but not too excess much because of potential high bp.

Did you find it hard to eat enough as the girls and your belly grew but stomach got squashed ?

*Yvette* Guest

Er, surprisingly no. Once over the first trimester nausea I could put away quite an astonishinly large meal right up to the end.

But maybe I'm just an incredible guts, lol.

I like my food too - bring on the 2nd trimester

*oops* i've put on about 20kg so far, but it seems to have dropped off now. Luckily I'm tall, so carry it well, am dreading the trips to the gym afterwards though!

Jo it's okay
    One book said 18 -23kgs and 10kgs is just the amniotic fluid -plus the extra plasma volume -

I guess being busy will help - you might not need trips to the gym

They say BF helps with weight loss - feed two twice the bonus
    I read your other post - you could always express for the other twin alternate feeds. MY DH is keen to bottle feed - while I feed one when he is home (middle of night too if I am lucky) - Dad might like some bonding time too.

the foam sounds a good idea - need to get pics. Did your hospital just have special twin class - how many people were there ?

chriscoop Guest

I hope I'll put weight on very soon. I think I only put on 2kg.

Love
    Chriscoop

*Yvette* Guest

20 kg sounds fine to me Jo, you are at 33 weeks. I'm only 5'5", & didn't look all that overweight afterwards, & slowly heading back towards normal now. Keep eating, those bubbies need their tucker!

Trish, I've heard people say bf doesn't help with weight loss, but it would have to I reckon, I mean it's quite a few calories going out.

Chris, my weight with the twins came quite suddenly, it'll happen soon, just take good care of yourself.

Btw girls, your blood volume increases dramatically with a twins pregnancy, & don't forget the bigger placenta or extra placenta, & extra amniotic fluid, & the outrageous boobies....

Just remember, good nourishment is vital with carrying twins. Eat plenty of good healthy stuff & drink plenty of water... and don't deny yourself treats, you need the calories!

nag nag nag..