Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are they identical??

Girlsundae Guest

Default Are they identical??

I'm confused...

I was lead to believe that we were having fraternal twins. My nuchal scan said I have a dichorionic, diamniotic twin pregnancy, but then reading something at another site this morning I found this:

Dichorionic and diamniotic. These types of identical twins develop 2 separate placentas and 2 separate amniotic sacs (similar to fraternal or non-identical twins). They generally occur if the fertilised egg splits before 3 days after conception.

So does that mean they are identical? I thought it was a 70% chance of fraternal, 30% chance of identical?

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

congratulations on twins

You might not find out until your 18wk scan - and find out the sexes - large % of dichorionic and diamniotic are fraternal -even if same sex but I read what you said too in my twin book

Dichorionic and diamniotic. These types of identical twins develop 2 separate placentas and 2 separate amniotic sacs (similar to fraternal or non-identical twins). They generally occur if the fertilised egg splits before 3 days after conception.
    A lady I met had twin daughters and even at birth DR's were not sure -she told me she ended up DNA testing - mind you they look identical and they were !

Yep the only way to be sure is DNA testing The twins registry will help out there. Mine didnt look identical all the time, but definately are! Yvette had her girls tested, and they are too!

That is the only 100% way of telling ( unless they are different sex)

I know mine are not identical as embryos were transferred at 6days and two but you are right to be 100% sure - DNA testing

Girlsundae Guest

I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter if they are ID or not, but it would be cool to know for sure either way.

I guess if it's B/G it's pretty obvious that they're not!

Maybe at the morphology scan they will have more of an idea?

butterfly_kisses1 Guest

hi
    i havent got twin myself but they fasinate me
    especially identical ones
    this might sound dumb or nasty
    but i think i would get a small tatoo or something
    different on each one if i ended up with identicl twins
    i think i may have been watching too much neighbours
    but what would happen if something like that were to happen?

Sal Guest

LOL I don't watch Neighbours but I'm assuming you are thinking the twins could be confused??!?! You don't have to worry, mums of identicals will all tell you that they can tell them apart from very shortly after birth

*LOL* My Mum was so scared of mixing my twin brothers up that she left their hospital ID tags on for 2weeks until the MCHN came out for a visit and said "You dont need these anymore" and cut them off!!! *LMAO*

People ask me if mine are identical but since they are a boy and a girl they can't be (can they?)

Sal Guest

Nope, Clare, they can't!

butterfly_kisses1 Guest

yes i was just wondering if they had an accident or commited a crime can they be told apart wouldnt they carry the same dna?
    how would other people be able to prove it was one and not the other

Identical twins have doifferent fingerprints, so they can always be told apart that way.

I didn't think they could but when a nurse asked me I thought I would check. lol

trish,
    don't mean to throw a spanner in the works, but a woman at our twin club conceived her ID twins through IVF. She had two embies put back and ended up with twins. She thought there would be frat, but it turns out that they are ID. Only one emby must have stuck and it split. Apparantely there is a slightly higher risk of the embies splitting through IVF. They don't know why, but the stats say that it is more prevailant.

hmm - the human body is an amazing thing
    p.s. my two are frat - one has a penis and one doesn't -lolol

Wow, Odette ... that's really something! Yes, one would assume that two embryos had stuck. I hadn't heard that the IVF procedure itself results in a higher incidence of twins .. only in the case of those conceived via ICSI where the sperm is injected directly into the egg.

In normal IVF, the eggs and sperm are left in a dish to their own devices (to all intents and purposes, no different to the normal process of conception except it is taking place outside the body). I hadn't heard that there was any increase in the chance of twins just through this procedure alone.

Clare, I can't believe people ask if yours are identical. Perhaps they don't think before they ask!!

I have Identicals and yep, have mixed them, up as bubs, I left one with an ankle tag, and one with a wrist til I got familiar, but still had a few mix ups ( fed the same one twice!!!) I havent mixed em up once they got a bit older, and NO way I could do it now, they sound dif, act dif, and are themselves KWIM??? I still have trouble with baby photos knowing who is who ( sometimes I make it up LOL) In grade 1 they had their hair cut dif, as were sick of being known as the twins, and wanted people to remember their names, one has shoulder lenght hair, the other long hair, but people still say, "now wich one has the short hair ??":mad:

I have two placentas/sacs and because they got put back at 6 days - highly unlikely to be identical as one egg will only split into two placentas /two sacs under three days. I didn't have ICSI either. After 3 days they have usually one sac/placenta.
    Two other IVF twin mums I know an another board have ID twins from one embryo - one was from ICSI one wasn't ...both had 2-3 day transfers though.
    Guess I will find out soon enough ... though as brothers they could look very alike anyway.

Being someone who is not that cluey on the whole twin thing. I would think not many people would actually realise if they are boy/girl then they can't be identical. It makes sence, but I didn't realise it.
    I seen a lady in Big W at Richmond today with triplets, all girls & all looked exactly the same!, Was so cute. they would have been about 12 -18 months I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast