Thread: Twin tricks

*Kristee* Guest

Question Twin tricks

Hey,
    Does anyone know any special tricks to end up with twins as i would really love to have aset of twins?
    TIA

Kristee-Lea - 21
    Tarleha Maye - 29/06/06
    Tying the knot 7th April
    TTC March/April (unofficially Jan onwards)

Aside from having two embyo's put in there, I am afraid it is luck of the draw Kristee-Lea.

tiggy Guest

I have read that if you have high levels of folic acid in your system, it increases the chances (?)

High levels of some Growth Hormones (such as IGF-1) can also induce double ovulation, so cow's milk from a processed place (such as American milk) can contain high levels of GHs, but the organic stuff won't have that in. Don't think we pump our cattle full of growth hormones, nor does Australia, so that may not help.

Apparently sneezing can trigger a double ovulation, so maybe getting hay fever would be another plan?

motherduck Guest

We got our twin PG from genetics my nan and her two sisters all had twins, I'm the only grandchild to get them so far but in saying that I've probably started something HeHeHe

can I ask you why you want twins?
    Even though I wouldn't swap my two for quids, the stress, chances of a healthy pg, and risks are heaps more than a singleton.
    The pressure having twins puts on your body, relationship and finances is massive (divorce rate is double for a multiple birth relationship than the general population, twins born early is double the chances etc)
    So although having twins is great - be careful what you wish for as well!!!

*Kristee* Guest

Odette,
    I have always wanted twins since i was a little girl!!!
    I mean i have one at the moment and am happy with her but next time i would really love twins...i know they would be extra hard to look after but thats my one wish i've had all my life!!! Well all i can say is i hope my wish comes true even with all the extra pressure.
    You probably think i'm mad or crazy or something.

Kristee-Lea - 21
    Tarleha Maye - 29/06/06
    Tying the knot 7th April
    TTC March/April (unofficially Jan onwards)

Twinsmum Guest

Our precious little babies are the result of family genetics also
    I hope you get what you wish for, and that all goes well for you all!!

All the best and Good Luck
    Haylie

Grosby Guest

Ours are just a freak of nature, but I have no explanation as to how or why it happened. I think it is based purely on luck or genetics!

My boss e-mailed me this last night:
    Taller women "more likely to have twins"

Taller women are more likely to have twins, according to a new study.

Research by Dr Gary Steinman, at the Long Island Jewish (LIJ) Medical Center, in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine found multiple-birth mothers are on average more than an inch taller.

In the study, the heights of 129 women who gave birth to twins or triplets, 105 had twins and 24 had triplets, were compared with the national average.

Multiple birth mothers were found to be on average 5ft 5ins tall, compared with the US average of 5 ft 3.25 ins.

The reason why taller women are more likely to give birth to twins is put down to the protein Insulin-like growth factor (IGF).

IGF both stimulates cells to in bones to grow and the sensitivity of the ovaries to certain hormones, thus increasing ovulation.
    Well, I'm tall and only one so far... DH is wanting to stop at 2, if we have another one (or so he says now) so I may well be looking for extra milk, folic acid and sneezing around then!

Grosby Guest

I must be a real medical miracle then, I'm what I like to call vertically challenged!

LOL, 5'5 is vertically challenged... in metric-weird-stuff-measurements it's about 165cm, which I was when I was about 8-9, so that's tiny! I'm 5'11, a "proper" height.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

i am 165cms and never been told i am tiny - i am average and my twins are IVF - much higher chance of multiples :eek:
    i second what Odette said - twins though double the blessing are challenging !

paras Guest

good luck with your wish....only a parent of multiples can know how difficult it is......

I was told I drop 2 eggs hence my twins, but in saying that I had a single birth the first time. If we plan to have more I am going to have tests done to double check I am dropping 1 or 2 eggs as going from 3 to 5 is a big difference.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I read in a multiple forum that the chance of another set of fraternals (al la natural as oppsoed to assisted conception) after one set is 1 in 4 (25%) I saw a lady with twins (2 sets) conceived naturally 10 months apart and a few others with two sets of twins.

chriscoop Guest

I hope your wish comes true and that everything goes well.

Although I love my twinnies, I didn't enjoy the pregnancy at all. I was bedridden for 2 months and they still came at 34w6d. I had MS until 2 days before they were born.

But it's a real pleasure to watch them grow up together and I wouldn't change the way my life is today.