Thread: twins and weight difference

expectingtwins Guest

Default twins and weight difference

Hi,
    Does anybody know when the weight difference between the twins begins to be a problem. I've just entered the 30th week and twin 1 is 1,400 kgs and twin 2 is 1,650 kgs, they are fraternal living in their seperate sacks. thanks Linda

Last edited by expectingtwins; November 21st, 2006 at 09:43 PM.

beastie Guest

i dont know when it begins to be a problem, but my friend has twins too and in pregnancy they always have a different between 200 or 300 gms

expectingtwins Guest

I suppose I just need to hope they continue down this road and not have a bigger gap.
    thanks

They are great sizes for 30 weeks. So unless your OB is worried, I would be guided by him/her. My two were nearly always the same size all the way through until one of my twins placenta failed and then there was a 400gram difference.
    At 29 weeks they were 1402g and 1398g, at 31 weeks (born) they were 1402g and 1800g.

HTH

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

welcome Linda and congratulations

I have fraternal twins and one was always bigger than the other.

At birth (35wks4days) Sam was 2.9kg 6lb8oz and Joel was 2.1kg 4lb12.5oz - a 800gm difference and the Dr said it was quite normal - as normal as if you have singleton siblings and they are born at different weights -assuming they have no other growth problems or restrictions etc.

It is more with identical twins they watch carefully the weight difference for problems like TTTS.

As long as they are continuing to grow and follow in their percentile curve it is fine.
    Neither had any problems related to weight.

Now they are about 600gms apart.

I will check what they were at 30wks.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

at 31 wks~
    from my pregnancy journal ...
    Twin 1 is about 1920gm and Twin 2 - 1415gm ... he is a bit smaller but in normal range (bottom). T1 is at top of normal range.
    hope this helps

expectingtwins Guest

Trish,
    Thanks for that info you've put my mind at ease. I'm going to see my OB tomorrow and see what he says. Your boys were born a great size and they look so cute! You must of ate well and rested when you could. I've read a couple of books and they suggest to eat alot of protein for the babies to grow, it's just that there never seems alot of room left after eating a normal size meal. I feel so big actually I feel like a happy hippo that can't see her feet LOL. Thanks again Linda

expectingtwins Guest

Hi Odette,
    I'm going to see my OB and see what he says. Because your twins were born at 31 weeks were they in ICU? and are they doing well now (they are 4 years)? thanks Linda P.S. I'm also thinking of naming one my my twins Ariel (nice name)

Twinsmum Guest

We too had the weight difference, but it was monitored to ensure both babies were growing and not just one putting on all the weight.
    On the day Hayden was 5lb 10oz and Brooklen 6lb 11oz so a noticeable difference in the end

tiggy Guest

We had a 700g weigh difference with the first set of fraternal twins and only 100g for the second set!
    As Trish said, it is perfectly normal and the size of your little ones is great!

It doesnt matter too much with fraternal twins, it when identicals have ttts that theres a problem. mine were supposed to be 250 gms apart, but when born, were 2110, 2115, so as much as the u/s said.

Daria was 2650 gms & Alexander was 2250 gms when they were born at 38 weeks. They had about a 400 gm gap all through the pg, but the O/b wasn't worried at all.

motherduck Guest

Our twins were born at 33 weeks and 4days and thier wieghts were 2180gms and 2410gms. At last week at 5 weeks old they were 2530gms and 2640gms.
    In the SCN they wre classed as big, so the size of your twins looks good.