Thread: Article: Doula Craze (QLD Sunday Mail)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Article: Doula Craze (QLD Sunday Mail)

Now mums turn to the birth guru
    HANNAH DAVIES
    28may06

SHE'S in agony, huffing and puffing. Then he goes and makes it worse with an ill-thought "Come on, it's not that bad".

Fiona Woodward and Simon Mee are trying to avoid scenes like this by hiring a "doula" to help with the birth of their third child, due today.

It's the latest craze to hit Queensland from the United States, involving a "personal trainer for parents-to-be" who supports the whole family through the childbearing experience.

The word doula is derived from the term for the most important female slave in an ancient Greek household the woman who helped the lady of the house give birth.

Ms Woodward, 34, of Toowoomba, is relying on experienced doula and mother-of-two Leah Palmer-Johnstone to be there during her home birth, along with a midwife.

After enduring two labours without a doula, she's looking forward to a more relaxing experience.

"It's very reassuring to know Leah will be with me when I give birth," Ms Woodward said. "She's already provided so much emotional support throughout the pregnancy, and I know she has some tricks up her sleeve for the labour, such as massage and heat packs and positive affirmations.

"She will also allow Simon to relax a bit more and enjoy the birth, rather than being fully responsible for having to keep me comfortable."

The couple, parents to five-year-old Imogen and three-year-old Miranda, intend to let their daughters witness the birth of their new sibling.

"Fiona wanted to do it this way this time, so I'm supporting her in that decision," 35-year-old Mr Mee said. "I'm happy to have Leah there to help me and the girls through this."

Ms Palmer-Johnstone, 40, is one of four doulas who can be hired from the Indigo Place clinic in Toowoomba at a cost of up to $850, which includes ante and post-natal support.

"It's about me providing additional emotional support and making the man feel confident and comfortable in his role, because men don't often understand the feminine energy."
    Latest craze?! My teacher has been doing this for over 26 years!!! ROFL!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hang on a minute - the latest craze isn't just at least 26 years old, or from America: the article says that Doulas have been around since Ancient Greece, so that's what, 2500-3000 years old? And thousands of miles from America to boot!

Wow, a three thousand year fad - what on earth will they make of the new season's fashion?

Im really glad that someone wrote an article about Doulas. There should be more!!! Not enough women know we are out there!!

Belly to Baby

I agree it is great they have done an article on doulas, as for it being a new thing you know people say we are a bit slow in Queensland LOL no offence to any queenslanders oops thats me

We just have to work out a way to get the word out there!!! Every woman needs and deserves a Doula!

I was talking about doulas with my mum one day and she asked me "what's a doula?" She is a nurse and a midwife and she had never heard of them!

Hi Bon,

Yes I know what you mean. I have spoken to a few midwives and not many know what a Doula is either. Unfortunately Doulas are relatively unheard of in QLD. The 'trend' to have a Doula is more common in Sydney and Melbourne and will eventually work its way up this way im sure!! Fingers crossed anyway.....It is far more common in other countries than it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear79 View Post
    Hi Bon,

Unfortunately Doulas are relatively unheard of in QLD.
    I have been researching and looking forward to studying to become a doula.
    I have told a few of my friends about it and EveryOne of them asked "What's a doula?" Some of them even calling them boola or dooma

lol

I would love to be a doula too, once I have had my children. I can't think of many things more lovely than committing to a couple 100% to support them as their child comes into the world.

I find when I explain what a doula is, most people think it's a fantastic idea. There are a few who don't, but these are just the ones who don't understand how valuable a doula would be at a birth.

Quote Originally Posted by isharathena View Post
    I find when I explain what a doula is, most people think it's a fantastic idea. There are a few who don't, but these are just the ones who don't understand how valuable a doula would be at a birth.
    i agree. even though i havent had one for my own births i think about how i would have felt to have one and i think that every woman should have one.
    it would certainly decrease the c/s rates because women wont be bullied or misconcepted (like me) into them by doctors and the like.

Glad to see the word getting out. Now if only every pregnant woman could read it!

Quote Originally Posted by beth1617 View Post
    I have been researching and looking forward to studying to become a doula.
    I have told a few of my friends about it and EveryOne of them asked "What's a doula?" Some of them even calling them boola or dooma

lol
    Hahaha I've had someone ask me what it's like being a gadoola before.