Thread: Birth Attendants - How Many?

Default Birth Attendants - How Many?

Just wondered if there is a standard for how many attendants you're allowed at a birth? Or does it vary from hospital to hospital?

With Alexzander I was told that it was 2 only and planned on having Aaron & mum. Although they were a bit more lenient and allowed my dad to be there for some of the time.

Next time I would like to have Aaron, a birth support person & a very close friend who has had her own VBAC. I know they should be fine with the first two, but would I be allowed to have the friend there? Would I get away with it if I say that I have 2 birth support people & Aaron?

Gee, I didn't even realise there was a limit. Mind you, I don't want more then DH & my mum there anyway.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Sarah, I had my Dh and a very close friend (support person) I think these days unless there is an actual medical reason or space issue, they tend to go with the flow.

I had the whole family, DH, my mum & dad, mil & my sister & brother popped in for a while too. My hospital was great and encouraged it. I didn't even notices who was in the room, as long as DH was there.

tiggy Guest

Sarah,
    I don't think that they can say how many people you have in the birth with you, unless there is a need for intervention but even then they will just ask everyone to leave.

I have been in births where there has been a room full.
    One very sad birth I was involved in were two very young people, whose whole family ( from both sides) insisted on coming in and proceeded to argue over the poor girl who was in active labour about who was going to get custody of the baby! I had to ask them to leave and then I had to call security when they became abusive... my point is, unless there is a good reason to limit the number, midwives aren't able to dictate who can and can't be there.

Thanks guys.

And yay Tiff, I was hoping you'd pop in with an insight

I think generally it comes down to hospital protocol, doesn't it ??

I'm pretty sure when I had Joel it was only 2 people, with Brandon, he was born in a birthing centre so as many as I wanted. Noah was a c section so only Mark and Tehya, well we had a party there

Perhaps you could call the hospital and ask them Sarah, that way you have some foresight, also if they don't allow extra people you can set about getting it sorted so you can ...

LOL at the party for Tehya Trish. Not so sure I could do it at home! Yeah I'm going to start researching hospitals soon as I have no idea where I'm going just yet.